Lenovo's 25th anniversary Thinkpad corrects years' worth of wrong turns

The surface studio is 3:2

1 Like

I’d be happy to use Shift. On nordic keyboards you have to use Alt Gr to get @. With Shift you get much more useful symbols such as ¤

Surface Pro checking in with 3:2 ratio, 12.2" or so

I’ll confirm this, having done keyboard and mSATA work on my x220 recently. Keyboard swapping is as easy is as it gets for a laptop. mSATA was tricker than I expected but still a 10 minute job, much better than the HP laptops I support.

I like that they’re doing this. If the anniversary thinkpad wasn’t a once-off and got regular refreshes, it’d probably be my next laptop. My x220 still has a few years left in it so I guess I’ll see what the closest equivalent is in 2020.

1 Like

We called it the clit in my school.

4 Likes

We called it the “power nipple” in my circle.

1 Like

Why can’t you say nipple?

1 Like

Because “nipple” is not the term I used.

1 Like

We’re all grown up here, I’m sure you use whatever word you are not saying without offending anyone.

2 Likes

I can understand why some women might take offense to what was a childish term involving a supposed ability to control females through their body parts. More importantly, I was curious to see what people who used it called it – as you indicate and the cartoon supports, there were multiple childish terms applied to it.

1 Like

Well, Cory is correct that on the newer X models the level of disassembly for keyboard replacement is far greater, as it needs to be removed from underneath (instead of from above on your X220), but it is still not all that hard.

I assume that Lenovo had a good reason for doing this, but if I was designing a laptop there are three things I would make easy to access and replace: the keyboard, the power jack, and the CPU fan. (The latter in particular got much harder from the X60 series to the X200 series.)

I have a brand new thinkpad myself for my work laptop.

The Fn key to the extreme left is a thing of the devil and ruins my vulcan neck pinch web browsing position (pinky on ctrl, index on c/v, middle on w); I don’t mind too much the soft touch keyboard, but I will eventually destroy it.

1 Like

The entire Surface line is 3:2. IMO, 3:2 is the perfect compromise - it’s wider than 4:3, while still being significantly taller than 16:10 (not to mention 16:9).

Essentially, they could buy the same panels MS uses in the Surface Pro (12.3") or Surface Book (13.5"), and use them directly. If they splurged on the same full-sRGB backlight setup and did individual display calibration like MS, I’d be sold.

The whole golden ratio mumbo jumbo is as much a social construct as anything else: we largely find it aesthetically appealing because it’s something we’re taught to (not necessarily directly, but by it being a commonly used proportionality in generally accepted “beautiful” things), not due to some innate beauty in the math itself. (Yes, you do get some use from a Bachelor’s degree in Art History, apparently.)

1 Like

– NSFW image below – :slight_smile:

Well, it looks like you’ve answered this question:
again

(That ad apparently was real, but never saw the light of day.)

1 Like

It was pushed hard in Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land, and has been repeated in numerous books since, but it is apparently a pack of lies: none of the examples, from the Parthenon on out, are actually in the golden ratio. It is one of those myths that will not die.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Guys, I realize it is Friday night, but use a spoiler tag for that. My SO is gonna wonder what the heck I am doing on my phone.

3 Likes

Fair enough, consider it done :wink:

2 Likes

practicing with happyplaytime?

1 Like

I don’t have experience of the full X line, but thats a good point. Does sound like it got far worse on the newer models.

When i got my X220 off ebay, i replaced the ageing CPU thermal paste. That was pretty much a complete laptop disassembly to get to the heat-sink, the only part i didn’t have to take apart was the display panel itself :wink:

2 Likes