Retro mechanical keyboard

Originally published at: Retro mechanical keyboard | Boing Boing

3 Likes

neat GIF

7 Likes

That thick bar at the top, but then no function keys … meh.

4 Likes

I remember missing mechanical keyboards when I stopped using the 25 years ago. I’m certain I would hate them if I tried them today

I have a different Durgod, it’s fabulous.

2 Likes

Windows key, but no function keys? Retro, please.

2 Likes

No function keys, no separate number pad, no insert key, no print screen, etc. Placement of Home, End, etc. is horrible. Also uses Windows Logo.

Fail.

3 Likes

Do you actually use the number pad? I haven’t, for years. It’s wasted space, on my very crowded desk.

Yes. I use it for several games.

IMO, they’ve actually gotten better since then. To my knowledge, you could only really get the clicky switches in the 90s and earlier. Now, there’s an array of throw lengths, resistance profiles, and click options. There are even little button sample kits you can get to see what your preference is.

3 Likes

“Retro” is a 1st cousin to “concessions”.

1 Like

I use it to enter numbers. The row at the top is kind of a pain.

4 Likes

Have you ever used a separate 10-pad keyboard? I’m considering getting one and keeping it at desk height instead of on my keyboard tray. That would let me center my keyboard better and improve my typing ergonomics. I can’t slide my 108-key to the right any more without losing my mousing surface entirely.

I got one a while back which I use infrequently and with my smaller laptop.

My setup’s geometry is probably a bit non-standard. There is about a foot of empty space in front of my keyboard. My mouse ends up there, oriented with “up” being to the left and mostly staying out of the way between my arms. It gets shoved out of the way if it doesn’t behave itself.

2 Likes

Fair enough :smiley:

But then, there are these:

:wink:

1 Like

e51eb5674451d6781de65a3056063028693e8c14_2_500x500

12 Likes

Do tell who made that one!

Here you go: Keychron K6 | A Compact 65% Wireless Mechanical Keyboard by Keychron — Kickstarter

2 Likes

When I want something smaller than a full keyboard I use this:

Super compact, super-programmable, and can be user-configured with whatever type of mechanical switches you like.

Edit: And the firmware is open-source.

2 Likes

Where is Durgod now?

4 Likes