Less than a year on, America has all but forgotten the epic Jeep hack

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Epic just isn’t enough any more.

4 Likes

“let them take over GM Jeep Cherokees”

Um, no. Jeep is made by Fiat Chrysler, not GM.

1 Like

I’m going back to riding a horse

1 Like

Never forget.

1 Like

…the remarkable ability of the American public to forget…

You know, we haven’t forgotten the Pinto or the Corvair. All that’s needed is a few deaths some collateral damage and some bad press. An expensive recall helps too, but the article makes it clear that’s not enough.

2 Likes

I like to chalk it all up to the failed and disastrous policies of the most recent Jeep Administration.

1 Like

It’s not just “recall fatigue” – i.e. limited to automobiles. We’re overwhelmed by reports of security breaches and incompetent data management from every corner of our society and it’s hard to expect people to deal with it responsibly. Why would anyone worry about hacked Jeeps or lying VWs (or security breaches at Home Depot or Target or Michael’s or the IRS or Comcast or Chase or etc etc) when there’s no reason to believe the problems are isolated to those. As soon as you make the responsible decision to steer clear of the wreck of the latest scandal you get blindsided by an express bus barreling through to the next one.

So naturally people are going to start tuning out.

2 Likes

Something that makes peoples insurance premiums go up would probably have the desired effect.

For a year or so.

1 Like

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

1 Like

What we desperately need is a structure for taking companies to task for repeatedly publishing insecure code, something like an FDA for code. Anyone distributing weak code makes everyone less safe, so it should be a public responsibility to find and eliminate insecure code. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of every citizen to vet every piece of software they use, and it’s impractical on multiple levels anyways.

While I’m fantasizing about impossible administrations, how about a department of fellatio? It’s only fair the government blows everyone like they’ve been blowing corporations and evangelists for the past 30 years.

2 Likes

But the same respondents seemed more concerned about the cybersecurity of the next
automobile they own. About 63 percent of them said the threat of
cybersecurity vulnerabilities would have some impact on their next
vehicle purchase, and a total of 31 percent said it would have either a
“moderate” or “huge” impact.

So, mixed results actually. It would be nice if they remember the details, but remembering a specific “stunt hack” isn’t nearly as important as overall awareness levels rising.

1 Like

SQUIRREL!!!

Americans have had plenty of help forgetting and misunderstanding thanks to the snooze media prattling on soothingly about celebrities and terrorists, and never letting automobiles (major sponsors) get a bad rap for killing tens of thousands of their countrymen yearly.

1 Like

Maybe, if you don’t personally own a Jeep, you aren’t as invested in remembering every detail of the Jeep hack?

Security breaches are becoming more common events, surely everyone can’t be expected to remember them all.

From the report, it seems like the “hack” is just an example of what someone might be able to do, assuming it’s the right model car, and they have complete access to the automobile ahead of time. As this hack has appeared in the wild exactly zero times since then, I’d say a 25% recall rate is exceptionally high.

And blaming people for getting the details wrong, is a laugh, when you make the statement “controlling the steering and the brakes and the acceleration”. That makes it seem like someone could make the car veer into an oncoming lane of traffic, which it can’t. The ability to control steering can only occur in cars with automatic parking assistance, and thus, only when the car is in reverse, and going only a few MPHs.

3 Likes

Hell, ask people in the street about VW diesels, I guarantee that 99 out of a hundred will say “oh, I heard something about that, what was their deal?”

1 Like

It needed a cool logo.

2 Likes

Yet people can’t stop talking about Dieselgate.

(don’t get me wrong, Dieselgate a monumental fuckup but it just doesn’t inspire much rage in me – more of a heavy sigh)

Just because someone proved that it was possible to hack a Jeep, doesn’t mean that anyone is actually out there attempting to hack Jeeps.

Just because someone proved that it was possible to hack a Jeep, doesn’t mean that anyone is actually out there attempting to hack Jeeps.

by definition, that’s exactly what that means.

1 Like