Let these robot vacuums do your cleaning for you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/02/let-these-robot-vacuums-do-you.html

The bad news: they’re surveilling you.

2 Likes

roomba

5 Likes

Refurbished and heavily discounted prices? The mind reels…

2 Likes

Can someone give me the actual scoop on the State of the Robot Vacuum? I had a Roomba 5xx that was never particularly great and died a long time ago due to Reasons. Given my absurd number of cats I wouldn’t mind finding something to do occasional dander collection unattended, but I also don’t want to drop another 700 bucks on a semi-functional robot hockey puck.

3 Likes

Ice bear approves.

3 Likes

I wonder how BoingBoing is going to report on the inevitable data-security breach at the BoingBoing shop.

2is1iw

3 Likes

5 Likes

Such a nice rendering.

5 Likes

I’ve bought a couple of secondhand Roombas, with mixed results; the Braava/Mint worked okay for a couple of years with weekly use, but the 650 Roomba I’m not sure is still vacuuming properly after 4 months (the catch cup rarely has anything in it, and our guests are not that tidy.) The new next gen Braava mop does okay, but I still need to do a manual mop every couple of months, as it is no good for more than sponging up recent coffee spills, and is defeated by the cats’ gooshyfood residue. Any floor that is not a platonic shape will also freak out the internal mapping; the old Braava with the GPS cube was much better at catching the odd corners.

1 Like

We own two Neato’s a D3 and D5. They are fucking awesome. They are “smart” style vacs and map as they go, so you end up with pretty vacuum lines and little extra cleaning. About a year after we bought them they introduced mapping on their D7, a few months later a firmware update gave ours the ability to map as well. So I can make a floor plan map and setup virtual no-go lines and areas. They will also return to the base and recharge and continue back if the area is too big to do in a single charge.

2 Likes

We just got a Eufy 11S, which so far I’m finding to be just great. Inexpensive and not too noisy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.