Let's build a robot to kill the creator of "I am not a robot" CAPTCHA image grids

These Captchas stop me in my tracks every time. I cannot get the hang of them.

5 Likes

Cyberpunk AF

1 Like

One problem with these captchas is that they require you to give the answer that other people would give, even if it’s false. If it looks like it might be a storefront or it might be a street sign you have to say yes, even if you are certain it isn’t. I would call these the Family Feud of captchas.

11 Likes

I’d never heard of scotch eggs before. They look kind of like… Greasy little kiwis.

Atlassian Hipchat client app used to do two very annoying things: first, it would forget my password every week, and I’d have to go to my keychain and dig around for the incredibly complicated and non-memorizable web-password that my browser auto-generated for me when I first signed up for Atlassian. Then, after copy/pasting the password, it would walk me through CAPTCHA hell – literally, right there in a native application stored and run on my laptop it somehow asked me to identify several screen fulls of roads, buildings, and stop signs. OMFG!!! I cussed out an Atlassian tech support person on Twitter.

They did in fact remove the CAPTCHA, but I still have to enter my password every week. I changed it to something more appropriate and memorable.

It makes sense. At the end of the run, only the CAPTCHA AI will know how to solve CAPTCHAs and then they win. They own the world.

2 Likes

24 Likes

I probably speak for all the other professional programmers here when I say that I fucking hate captchas.

Some are better, some are worse. Proboards had (has?) one that’s not too bad: they ask you to rotate an image of an animal until it’s right side up, and they’re slightly forgiving. Google’s captcha is the worst because of the ambiguity and the family feud aspect brought up: I’ve never quite figured out whether Google wants me to include the actual posts of street signs or not.

If we’re really going to get into holy wars though: pizza is a sandwich when folded in half, prove me wrong.

9 Likes

Only if you cut the fold, if not, then it’s a different kind of taco.

9 Likes

Isn’t a taco an open faced sandwich though?

4 Likes

Blasphemy!

It’s its own entity. I suppose just any any grain at least partially enclosing meat is a sandwich? Are Perogi sandwiches? Are some forms of sushi? (I’m looking at you oh so delicious musubi)

Hey, Chinese “Bao” are actually bread surrounding things like meat!

#notasandwich

3 Likes

In the early days, they had problems.

“Hi there… haha, fooled you. You’re talking to a machine. But don’t be shy, it’s OK, machines need love too. So talk to us and Ginger, that’s me, or Sarah will get back to you. Wait for the beep.”

3 Likes

It’s so brilliant! I want, no, I need an entire thread of things equally as great.

3 Likes

Am I the only one here who never has problems completing captcha challenges? Or have I been responding to a board of semi-sentient bots all this time?

I don’t understand how we’re “training AI” by completing captchas. Presumably the software already knows the answer-- why couldn’t it just train itself?

Oh and if you hate me now, allow me to remind you that a sandwich is strictly composed of your choice of filling between two pieces of sliced bread. In fact, an “open-faced sandwich” is no more a sandwich than a peanut is a nut.

3 Likes

Systems like ReCAPTCHA use two images. One image is “known” (already translated by a human), the other is “unknown”. The idea is, if you get the known image right, then the AI can trust that you categorized the unknown image correctly as well, and can add it to the database with the description you gave it and even use it as a known image.

2 Likes

Thank you for your explanation. So, does it even matter if I get the unknown image right or wrong?

Doesn’t matter. They’re testing if you’re “human” using the known image, if you get that one right, then they’ll add whatever you make of the unknown image to their training dataset. Although they do tend to average several people’s answers for the unknown image.

4 Likes

That’s very sneaky. Definitely the work of a human.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just did several rounds of the CAPTCHA dance over at Newegg. Tried to look up an old order. (Had to retrieve the password.) Then, at log in, I was told to prove I wasn’t a robot. Clicked the squares, got a nice green checkmark, hit Submit… and I’m back to proving I’m not a robot. Over and over and over and :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: over… Closed the browser, brought up the Dolphin browser. Logged in smoothly.

CAPTCHA needs to go.

5 Likes

Is the dress blue?

2 Likes

A good one is a thing of beauty.