YouTuber illustrates why "I am not a robot" image CAPTCHAs are universally hated

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/youtuber-illustrates-why-i-a.html

6 Likes

Obligs…

25 Likes

I feel like the captchas are training me: “You don’t think that RV is a bus?”

I think that’s the primary flaw in this type of machine learning. The user’s goal is to get past the captcha and they will learn to tell it what it expects.

3 Likes

That part about “tiny pieces of wheels spilling over into the next box” is too real. Every. single. time. “Is that poster or illustration of a car in the square still considered a car?” “Is that a crosswalk or parking utility markings???”

HAHAHAH THE HUMAN EXPERIENCES CAN BE QUITE COMICAL AND FRUSTRATING DUE TO OUR DEFINITELY MADE OF MEAT BODIES, RIGHT FELLOW BIPEDS?

11 Likes

I’m always uncertain what to do on the intersection signal light, do I include the the pole or only select the square with the light?

5 Likes

The really scary part is that Google is using our answers to train its image recognition algorithms for their self-driving cars.

7 Likes

only solve the ones that have a blue button that says “verify.”
if the button says “skip”, don’t solve or skip. hit the reload icon in the lower left.
starting with the “skip” puzzles puts you on an endless train of solving ambiguous “does this little piece of brick count as part of the staircase?” but also more than one of the “one item per box” puzzles. you can solve it right and still be given another puzzle to solve.
hitting skip until you have an unambiguous puzzle only helps for that one, it will still give you more puzzles to solve after that one.

keep hitting reload until you get a puzzle with a blue button that says “verify”.
these puzzles are always the “one item per box” type.
this will be the only puzzle you need to solve.
if you get really lucky, the squares you select will shrink a little. after you select the three items, hit verify and you’re done.
the interesting thing is you only need three. if there are four clearly up-front pics of, say, fire hydrants, you can pick any three and hit verify for a success. the gamble is, does that car pic with a tiny bit of hydrant count? in my experience, no, but you’re on your own, there.
otherwise you get the kind where they fade new options into the box you select. you are now riding the reload train until you don’t get any new fire hydrants. but, when you stop getting new hydrant pics and hit verify, you’re done. you get the check mark and no more puzzles will load.

6 Likes

I think CAPTCHAs secretly record the ambient sounds, not what you click on, to listen for the tell tale sounds of your frustration (yelling, pounding on keyboard or mouse,…) to detect you are not a robot. Robots never get frustrated; just ask Boston Dynamics.

11 Likes

That’s from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

6 Likes

Grr - American capchas - what the fuck is a “crosswalk”? (an American word) … Our fire hydrants do not look like that (yellow plates in the road) … fucking cultural imperialism

1 Like

They didn’t know anyone who could photoshop?? They really took some quick-and-dirty shortcuts in making the “math problem captchas”! I think it would have enhanced the video if the captchas weren’t so easily seen as fake.

What the fuck is a zebra crossing? I’ve never seen any zebras there. And since when does zebra rhyme with Debra?

2 Likes

There usually are Belisha beacons next to it, so easy to spot.

Fun fact: before this type of CAPTCHA was released upon us, thousands of Amazon Turk workers sifted through those images clicking on whatever given object for basically pennies per hundred.

You don’t get to be the richest human being in our species’ existence without facilitating this type of shit and much much worse.

2 Likes

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.