Self-aware CAPTCHA overlords

We never understood the Turing test until now

It’s not a test for the bots to pass

It’s a test for us to fail

21 Likes

Makes you wonder how many humans fail the “prove you’re a human” CAPTCHA. I would have to assume it’s a non-zero number…

6 Likes
30 Likes

Oh, yeah. I resemble that remark, I tell you what.

2 Likes

Makes you wonder how many humans fail the “prove you’re a human” CAPTCHA.

I am certain that some of them are tracking mouse movement because I have to make random movements to stop them from failing me.

10 Likes

I assume we are training our robot overlords in waiting. There’s an XKCD I think.

8 Likes

Me, constantly. I hate those things.

9 Likes

And I am convinced that it will be useless in any other country than the USA. For example, I keep getting asked to pick fire hydrants. This is a fire hydrant in the UK

I have never seen one of those on reCAPTCHA.

23 Likes

It’s probably of questionable utility even within the US. I’ve seen people regularly complaining on Twitter that reCAPTCHA won’t let them proceed unless they actually select an invalid object, like a parking meter that the system thinks is a mailbox.

17 Likes

LOL! I don’t think I’ve ever failed one of ones that is just a “check a box to prove you’re human” type.

Have you… considered the possibilities? :wink: :robot:

5 Likes

Oh yes. But my circuits overheated, so I killed that subroutine.

15 Likes

I had one of the spot the crosswalk CAPTCHAs a while ago that had the clicks misaligned with the images. The bottom row was un-clickable and I had to click one row higher than the images that matched. That took me a few tries. :rofl:

6 Likes

Maybe the CAPTCHA algorithms have achieved sentience and are in the testing/fucking with us stage… :laughing:

5 Likes

Also, a rare sweary XKCD:

20 Likes

LOL!!!

I hadn’t seen that one OMFG I’m dyyyying… :rofl:

3 Likes
15 Likes

It sure felt that way. A long time ago at a big software company, a co-worker was experimenting with CSS for fun and learning. He made a private build of some of our software in which all the UI elements would move to avoid the mouse and then return to their original location once the mouse moved away. Endless fun.

6 Likes

Definitely flawed. To pass some of the Captchas I have to misidentify objects because unlike the distorted text ones (where Google starts with regular text and knows what it says before distorting it) the photo captchas appear to rely on what other users click as the test of accuracy. So, something that looks like a bus at a casual glance, but isn’t, becomes something you have to identify as a bus if you want in.

1 Like

Google’s latest version of reCAPTCHA is designed to follow you around the entire site now, not just when you visit a page that has a “not a robot” checkbox on it. It’s incredibly invasive and I hate it.

It’s also completely worthless, if the spam registrations on my websites are anything to go by. :stuck_out_tongue:

We are basically functioning as unpaid mechanical Turks for Google’s self-driving car platform. Dunno if there’s an XKCD about it, but CGP Grey does bring it up in his video about machine learning.

10 Likes

Every time I get one of Google’s CAPTCHAs I make as many mistakes as it’ll let me. I click on things that are wrong, and ignore correct choices, especially if I think it might be borderline for the AI to figure out.

I imagine some day a Google powered car is going to hit something it thought was a crosswalk because of me.

7 Likes