Captchas?

What is this all about?

Attempting to access this:
https://boingboing.net/2021/04/05/every-cardigan-color-worn-by-mr-rogers-in-chronological-order.html

8 Likes

Iā€™d really like it if the site didnā€™t break itself for w3m by using this captcha stuff when otherwise it works fine without JavaScript.

Kinda hard to see some of these on mobile.

I think there may be a schooner in there

Perhaps a spinnaker? Definitely a yacht.

5 Likes

I am disappointed that BoingBoing is now discriminating against AIs.

12 Likes

Itā€™s here:

3 Likes

It must have just started? I watched the Randy Rainbow video through main site about 30 min ago and I didnā€™t get this, but I tried other topics just seconds ago and got the captchas. Hmm.

4 Likes

The weird thing is it makes no sense, its not like you can interact with the main site at all. A Captcha thing on the forums, well maybe, tho I havenā€™t noticed any upticks in spam or bot posting, but on the front page? WTF? What conceivable purpose does this serve?

3 Likes

Yup, got one e few minutes ago when I wanted to go from the bbs to the main article.

AIKZ

9 Likes

Finally, a chance to use all that trivia gleaned from youtube!

4 Likes

The issue seems to be fixed now? At least the ones I just looked at, including the Fred Roger cardigans.

3 Likes

maybe we can weigh in then on why the site continuously prompts me to approve all the options for following me.

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s not popping up for me anymore.

At least it seems to save my preferences. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Oh wow so these are like, anti-bot captchas for the mere act of viewing the Boing Boing webpage?

2 Likes

hCapcha happens to be the Capcha service used by CloudFlare. I wonder if people are running into a DDoS check?

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen this in the wilds of BB as yet even though my captcha viewership has increased since using a VPN especially. When i have had to use hCaptcha itā€™s often far less obnoxious than the G alternative that usually takes several attempts to work.

My problem with Googleā€™s image caphcas is that they are verified based off the lazy choices of other humans in a hurry, so sometimes you have to give the wrong answer to pass as human. Iā€™ve had to identify a black mailbox on a post as a parking meter, and a semi-tractor trailer as a bus, and identify roads with no cross walk as marked cross walks, etc.

This makes me doubtful about the reliability of some of Googleā€™s reliance on Capchas to help it correctly identify traffic features. Good, but definitely not 100%

3 Likes

Itā€™s been pointed out before that captchas are very US-centric with a good example being what a fire hydrant is depending on where you live in the world.

Also another good opportunity to roll out falsehoods programmers believe in!

1 Like

The last one I had to fill out forced me to identify a rumblestrip as a crosswalk. AI is going to kill all humans any day nowā€¦

(Edit: most likely with self driving cars that donā€™t understand the rules of the roadā€¦)

2 Likes

show places you would run

6 Likes

It is interesting how Captchas have evolved from the old ā€œwiggly lettersā€ kind to these odd object-in-image identification tasks.

Roblox has an even weirder one (which makes sense because everything about Roblox is profoundly weird) where you rotate a 3d representation of an animal to the ā€œnormalā€ orientation.

and the dice oneā€¦

They actually use Discourse for their dev forum (self-hosted, we donā€™t host them), some good examples in this topic.

1 Like