Why Google’s CAPTCHA images are "so unbearably depressing"

Originally published at: Why Google's CAPTCHA images are "so unbearably depressing" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Love me a good CAPTCHA!

22 Likes

Select all images with an atmosphere, an insect, an intent to deceive.

18 Likes

I notice that the images keep getting smaller, and they ask to pick small details in them like the hint of a traffic light.

17 Likes

That’s because the AIs are moving into their endgame. Be prepared.

28 Likes

So you use a password manager to save time and… it ends up wasting more time.

Another of the ironies of “security”.

9 Likes

Got this one. Is a hot dog a sandwich???

30 Likes

23 Likes

I avoid most sites that use these, but when I can’t avoid it I take pains to get as many wrong as possible. I click images that don’t meet the criteria and ignore ones that do. I take time to find the sweet spot that will let me in while muddying the data collected. Fuck the information overlords.

12 Likes

They need to follow the lead of Randall Munroe…
mine_captcha

25 Likes

Botanist humor.

29 Likes

16 Likes

That’s so cruel.

5 Likes

Seems like the old era of two-word non-sequiturs is already passing from memory. Too bad.

Also, is the link to the article missing?

3 Likes

I’m not sure of anyone who uses a password manager specifically to save time. I know I don’t.

I use it in order to actually be more secure since I’m not remembering hundreds of usernames and passwords.

7 Likes

19 Likes

A grand unified theory is laid out here:

6 Likes

29 Likes

Too late! They had already won in 1982…

6 Likes

Google’s captchas are so culturally problematic:

• what’s a “crosswalk”? a word only used in one country, what they look like on the road differs between countries
  • taxis are always yellow?
  • fire hydrants are always those things that dogs pee on in cartoons? (here they are a yellow plate in the road)
16 Likes