Let's celebrate fifteen years of Hot Fuzz

Originally published at: Let's celebrate fifteen years of Hot Fuzz | Boing Boing

8 Likes

One of my favorite bit was the whole thing with the swan. Really helped wrap up the action-packed final act.

12 Likes

Bah! Buddy cop spoof! BAH!

It’s a spoof of the 1970s Satanic cult horror movies, and we all know it!

(All of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy were send-ups of specific kinds of horror films.)

7 Likes

I mean, it was both. And more.

12 Likes

How serendipitous We decided that the cornetto trilogy was going to be our movie watching this week .

5 Likes

hot fuzz mustache GIF

Great film. Infinitely gifable as well.

13 Likes

Never has there been a more sincere tribute to (and send-up of) the action movie genre. The whole trilogy is amazing, and it’s hard for me to choose between this and The World’s End, but I’ll watch any of them, any time.

7 Likes

As much as I liked The Worlds End, I much preferred how grounded in reality Hot Fuzz was. Worlds End is still a very good movie but it was so much darker than the other two films and that made it a bit of a slog for me. (Don’t get me wrong - Shaun and Fuzz are plenty dark, but at least they don’t end with the world being a reduced to a post-apocalyptic hellscape where every one of the hero’s friends have been replaced with alien murderbots.) I mean we’re not ever really shown what happened in the aftermath of Shaun and I’d imagine it was pretty terrible, but it didn’t have quite the same explicitly downer ending.

3 Likes

Shaun’s ending presents society going back to some kind of normal, even with the undead integrated into society. It’s almost positive!

World’s End’s, uh, ending, does something I always hate: “Let’s look on the bright side of this event that killed millions of people.” Nah, mate, you’re alright.

4 Likes
5 Likes

There are a handful of movies that I’ve watched with no expectations going in and been completely blown away by as a result. Shawshank Redemption and the original Matrix movie are two that stand out near the top of the list, but Hot Fuzz is a strong contender for #1. I spent most of the movie watching one (very good) movie, but then when I suddenly realized I was watching a completely different (and even better) movie it was just an amazing experience.

5 Likes

And in case someone isn’t aware of this show, I’ll use this moment to recommend this excellent program!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.