Let's focus on fixing problems, and not prejudice

Have I ever mentioned that I also have some Native American heritage mixed up in my ‘DNA cocktail’ as well?

Again, the irony of a person of privilege condescending to people who have been historically oppressed about how they need to go about fighting for equality is just astounding.

Therein lies the real problem in this complete failure to communicate; conversations are a two way street.

Why should I bother to listen anyone who clearly has no interest in listening to me?

Why would I give any credence whatsoever to their input, when they actively choose to ignore mine, despite the fact that I have a lifetime of experience of dealing with social inequality, firsthand?

No problem can be resolved if one person just arbitrarily decides that they ‘have all the answers’ and then refuses to listen to any of the people actively impacted by the problems which need to be fixed.

To reiterate what Mags posted yesterday:

Thats Not How Any of This Works

REAL allies for societal progress and equality know all too well that they can not be ‘the saviors’ of any oppressed people; the victims of oppression and injustice need to be able to lead their own charge themselves and to tell their own stories, in their own voices… and their allies can aid in that endeavor by believing them, and helping facilitate their ongoing fight.

Sure, I’ll get right on that; all interested parties should take a deep breath and hold it while they wait… :wink:

22 Likes