Let's help Americans use metric!

3 Likes

Perhaps an outsiders view of the imperial system would be enlightening.

2 Likes

While the presentation is awful, the content of this rant has at least two cups of grain truth in it.

Imperial units. Known for their precision.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d read a more complete and, better presented version previously but I couldn’t find it again. It’s still entertaining. As is the gif. :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

Well thats easy. It used to be the case that the mile was 1600 yards, but that was because the anglo-saxons used the North German foot, 10% longer than the English foot. When the units were converted to English feet, the number of yard-divisions within that same mile increased to 1760 yards. Easy.

I’m amused by the practicality of the units in their time. A square mile made up of 640 acres, each of which is one furlong x 4 rods (or one chain). The furlong was the longest furrow you could make before your ox needed a break, at which point you would turn the plow. An acre was the amount of land one could plough (plow) in a day with one ox. The rod was a standard (ish) measuring stick, which conveniently could also be used to jab the ox to get it moving if it stopped.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.