Letter from a Chinese forced-labor camp found in Kmart Hallowe'en decorations

Yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn…

1 Like

Crimes are OK as long as other people are committing bigger crimes? Woohoo, I’m gonna go hold a liquor store!

2 Likes

Thank you.

The fight for liberty should begin at home.

2 Likes

True, but we have more influence in what country we buy our products from than how prisoners in our own country are treated. In that sense, you could say that the fight for liberty is starting at home (with our personal electronics and other purchases, rather than at the national or state level with prison reform).

Storm the Bastille!

Uhhh… you could also avoid buying stuff made in the USA, since it also uses prison labour just as China does.

My point is that you bear more responsibility for what you buy than for what your government does to its prisoners. “Buy American” isn’t the answer (as you’ve pointed out), but we can still choose to buy products from manufacturers in our own country or abroad that are more ethical than others.

True as far as it goes, but trying to buy our way out of the problem seems to me like still being in the problem.

If first-world consumers are going to start caring about prisons, then actively fighting for prison reform at home in the U.S. strikes me as a better way to go. Not that we can’t or shouldn’t do both. The U.S. incarcerates a far higher percentage of its people than China does, often in conditions that are just as bad or worse.

http://www.stopmassincarceration.net/

2 Likes

Liquor stores need love too.

4 Likes

Ah say we should GO GET 'EM while they’ve only got one damn toy aircraft carrier! Yee-haw!

I’m not in the market for a child, but thanks for the advice.

For want of a comma.

9 Likes

Yeah we should. Maybe start by not sneering at the diction of a labor-camp prisoner who doesn’t use a phrase like ‘verbal beat-down by the guards’ to better please the editing class on BB.

1 Like

Despite the bad press, they’re a better value.

Doh!

(very late edit) “…hold UP a liquor store…”

Bad example. When stormed the Bastille had only seven prisoners. The stormers were mostly after the gunpowder stored therein.

I wasn’t aware of that. Could you point me as some examples, please?

Well hopefully. My medieval ancestors were pretty cool compared to modern people!

Well, except all for the conquering. And enslavement. And religious intolerance. And the lice and tapeworms. And poor dental hygiene. And

Wait, can we go back to Ancient times instead and forget about my ancestors in the Medieval era? I actually am trying to be better than those losers.

Weirdly enough, I have also found a message in cheap plastic crap from China. But I can’t get any Chinese people to translate it for me; one woman’s face actually went white as a sheet when I showed it to her. She said “it’s shameful that anyone with such beautiful writing would say such a thing” and I said “what, does it say ‘get stomach cancer and die, round-eye?’” and she said “Something like that.” After that I stopped showing it to Chinese people, but it’s around here somewhere.

2 Likes

Mmmm if you ever find the paper take a pic.

My ancestors … are shrouded in mystery.

1 Like

Agree. Halloween decorations are one of the best examples of our throw-away consumer good culture. They’re mostly the cheapest possible landfill.

I carve my pumpkins with care, light them with tea lights and enjoy. No plastic stuff.

I recycle them after Halloween by throwing them at salespeople who come to the door. Even if I have to wait two months.

1 Like