Letter to the Editor

the burro’s mayonnaise. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not sure, but just on the off chance I’ll be dressing my cat in blue jeans.

No, it’s dishonest and trollish to edit quoted citations to include sexist, slut-shaming terms. It’s a cheap card trick, suggesting “ironically” what was really meant in such a way that people might think it was actually said, while self-justifying its own inflammatory use of misogynist language.

This being generally unacceptable is not merely “a willingness to dub anything contrary driving trollies” – which is, of course, just another variation on “just disagreeing.” Irony indeed!

5 Likes

This is where the party ends,
I can’t stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
And your racist friend

5 Likes

they might be giants ?? ok , joke is on me !! i recalled this song as timbuk3 !! my memory is clogged with useless 68000 ass’y code , my song and group memories are more jumbled , and not to be trusted !! thanks !!

I was trying to avoid that reference! :slight_smile:

Okay. Clearly, you stand by all of your decisions and will learn nothing from the parallel. I don’t feel that intractably stomping our feet in our stance is useful at all.

Allow me to voice another opinion then, and this may not be a fact at all, thus the couching: this post is in terribly poor taste and was likely to incite, making it, itself, a form of trolling your own community. Ganging up on someone, even someone we don’t like is cruel and unnecessary; shunning is enough.

However, feel free to call me names and attack me instead of my point.

Edit. since I’m at my commenting limit: @AcerPlatanoides, I am a human and not a troll. I don’t think it’s so hard to treat each other as people. There’s a human on both sides of the conversation. The first step in othering is dehumanization.

Edit 2: Back to lurking I guess. Sorry I commented on your super-awesome post. Yeah, that guy, he’s so crazy, let us laugh at the crazy guy. Your point really sunk in and changed my worldview. Until I figure out I’m some part of a burro, a troll, or an asshole, apparently my opinion is not welcome.

Edit 3: Congratulations. I thoroughly regret posting, as I’m now just a punching bag. I had an observation, I shared it. I defended it as politely as I could, and I’ve been repeatedly shut down as a troll. This is not what I expected here, and I’ve learned my lesson. Thanks for the whipping.

5 Likes

Prime Directive of the Internet: Never read the comments!

Seriously, comment sections so often turn into cesspools that I don’t know why any website bothers with them.

1 Like

Redo that freehand in MS Paint & you’ll have a winner.

From Aaron James

The asshole

(1.) allows himself to enjoy special advantages and does so systematically;

(2.) does this out of an entrenched sense of entitlement; and

(3.) is immunized by his sense of entitlement against the complaints of other people (p. 5).

1 Like

Alright, would you prefer to be called a “burro’s soon.” or an “ocelot’s gherkin?”

3 Likes

Doing the right thing, is doing the right thing, like the idea of the golden rule. However, being cast as a SJW or PC tends to bring the connotation with it that one is placing an emotional response over (or at least beyond equal) a logical one. And that being said being more along the black or white type of logical has a tendency to get one labeled things like being a racist (or insert other ists here) because they are not supporting the victim.

I think every case is different and unless a full outside account of what happened is possible speculation tends to fuel these divisions.

Calling someone an asshole when their behavior is fairly described as entitled rules-laywering multiplied by concern driving trollies… from a new user account…

Sorry dude, but you are a human, and one acting like an asshole.

(edited: and if it is just pretense… well, would that make you a pretentious asshole? Or brilliant actor? Also as this is only my my opinion of your behavior and not your -self-, you cannot cry ad hominem. did I do that right? I took lessons from some asshole online on it. Without doubt you are a great person, and a skilled actor too, because the behavior on display in your asshole show is oscar-worthy)

3 Likes

Uh oh–there’s one of those self-fulfilling prophecies again!

I won’t call you names, but I might suggest that you consider the appropriateness of abstract equivocation (such as applying “victim-blaming” to a suspended commenter, in a discussion of victim-blaming aimed at a black teen shot dead by cops) and the honesty of editing quotes for “ironic” effect.

Otherwise this pattern will continue: you’ll make a wild comparison between two things, be challenged on it, shift to some new objection, and sarcasm and bitterness will prevail.

Thank you! We do try!

6 Likes

[quote=“EcholocateChoco, post:11, topic:47468”]Saying someone deserved to be shot because they did [something other than stay at home with the doors locked].[/quote]Staying at home with the doors locked seems like an increasingly appealing option with each passing day. (Except of course locks won’t do it anymore; heavy barricades are the bare minimum.)

You will be hearing from AcerPlatanoides’ and my lawyers shortly.

3 Likes

Hey thanks for this. I had a nice jaunt around Wikipedia this morning starting with Overton window.

Rob represents his views extraordinarily well, and displays deep cultural proficiency. His imperfection seems to be a tone of self-righteousness. He appears to have already completely made up his mind about an issue by the time he makes his first post about it, and doesn’t seem to alter or tune those views as the greater dialogue progresses. Not seeing Michael Brown as a victim, and thus not seeing the offending poster’s comments as “blaming the victim” is not an absurd viewpoint worthy of mockery, whether or not you agree with it. Why someone of Rob’s intellectual capacity is not perceiving this is unclear to me.

I perceive Rob as doing a better job than some previous mods. I think we’ve all come a long way since Teresa was in charge.

In cases where I don’t believe Rob is not thinking broadly enough about his position, I do believe he’s thinking deeply enough, and efficiently presenting that depth of thought to everyone.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure if I was the guy getting banned for victim blaming who decided that they should write this letter, then I would see hypocrisy in the thread about my letter whether it was there or not. I’m pretty sure I’d think anything to suit my narrative of the situation.

This may or may not be true (and in America I suspect is actually isn’t true) but it’s a poor logical analogy. For a valid parallel we’d need some sort of action taken by police against the people to be analogous to the banning. To make it relevant, it would be ‘For the most part, people who are shot by police and treated fairly.’ That doesn’t work out as well. We also have the issue that civil servants have a different obligation to the public than forum moderators do to forum posters. But a person who wanted this to be all about how they were wronged would definitely sweep aside these differences to convince themselves that we were all a bunch of hypocrites.

I’d love it if I could sit down with that person and have a real heart-to-heart about how they feel about the world and what it was that made them so upset about internet forums and we could get to a real breakthrough where we both understood each other. For the level of interaction I do have with them, the only sensible thing for me to do is not worry about what they think because that’s way out of anyone’s zone of control.

And speaking of seeing whatever you want to substantiate your own narrative.

Look, deciding what other people mean before you listen to them and then understanding their words to say that thing is a real thing that people do not just an accusation that can be used as an argumentation tactic. You need some serious reality testing. Read the actual words @beschizza responded to you with - do you notice he has criticized what you said and not who you are each time? If you can’t tell the difference then you really aren’t in a position to talk about how to behave civilly in a conversation.

3 Likes

I’ve been PM’d by Falcor, I think of it as pre-seasoning. I got the hint.

3 Likes

This devils’ advocacy is terrible.[quote=“Banabanana, post:236, topic:47468”]
Until I figure out I’m some part of a burro, a troll, or an asshole, apparently my opinion is not welcome.
[/quote]
There’s a lonely under-bridge somewhere who misses its host.

Do you ever listen to yourself and find your words absolutely exhausting, or do you get a rush of excitement each time you jump into an argument with arms flailing?

The best way to avoid being called a troll is to consider your words and how they interact with the persons around you. Is the entire world really against you, or are you just perpetuating the same narcissistic monologue you always find yourself in?

4 Likes