"LGBT-free" town faces the consequences of its own actions

…more difficult to believe than Leibniz was gay?

1 Like

Eta:, I mean, you can challenge me, but can you argue with an internet poll? It’s harnessing the collective gadar of the entire internet. Or at least the part of it that’s up the latest gossip about German seventeenth/eighteenth century mathematicians, so that must be a pretty insightful section of humanity.

3 Likes

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz’s net worth is estimated to be in the range of approximately $429697329 in 2021, according to the users of vipfaq. The estimated net worth includes stocks, properties, and luxury goods such as yachts and private airplanes.

8 Likes

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz still alive? Are there any death rumors?

Unfortunately no, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz is not alive anymore. The death rumors are true.

Oh no! The death rumours are true!

(I think we have derailed this thread enough now)

8 Likes

I didn’t even know he was sick.

7 Likes

Also, this guy has statistically seen lots of gay people, he’s just unaware of it. If they live in this den of freedom, then they’ve got to be mega closeted. Also, I’m guessing there are some really good reasons that a lot of the young people move away…

In fact, I’d guess that a lot of these young people probably move to a less restrictive place, and weirdly have trouble finding a boyfriend or girlfriend, but have a “roomate” that they’ve known for quite a while, and are quite close to.

9 Likes

Poland is part of the EU, so the funds aren’t “foreign”.

4 Likes

highlights the activities of Bartosz Staszewski

When Krasnik and other towns adopted “free of L.G.B.T.” resolutions in early 2019, few people paid attention to what was widely seen as a political stunt by a governing party that delights in offending its foes’ “political correctness.”

But that changed early last year when Bartosz Staszewski, an L.G.B.T. activist from Warsaw began visiting towns that had vowed to banish “L.G.B.T. ideology.” Mr. Staszewski, a documentary filmmaker, took with him an official-looking yellow sign on which was written in four languages: “L.G.B.T.-FREE ZONE.” He put the fake sign next to each town’s real sign, taking photographs that he posted on social media.

The action, which he called “performance art,” provoked outrage across Europe as it put a spotlight on what Mr. Staszewski described in an interview in Warsaw as a push by conservatives to “turn basic human rights into an ideology.”

You can see his photographs here and donate to his patreon campaign.

https://lgbtfreezones.pl

10 Likes

It is a typical bigots/right-wing dodge, when confronted with the negative consequences their own actions have on their own lives they still will not address the actual error of their reasoning. They would call me *and I guess you :slight_smile: ) ideologues as an insult but it is them who can only judge their own actions by their own bigoted ideology, not by the results or effects it has on them or others.

6 Likes

The EU is not only about trade and economy, one essential goal of it is stability and security, investing in poor regions is part of that. It also makes sense for the economy of course, build a stronger economy in a region will improve trade with that region. You could call the aid to Poland an internal Marshall plan.

Poland is after all a bit of a difficult situation. Poland got shafted quite seriously in the … well, even since the Napoleonic wars I guess but especially in WWI and WWII. Thanks to the Cold War it was also left out of the earlier mentioned Marshall plan although arguably it needed it and deserved it much more than many other countries.

Poland got a lot of sympathy after the fall of the Iron Curtain and many other European countries are willing to try to set things right and would indeed be even more helpful if Poland wasn’t being such an ( * ) about it. Simply put the factions in the EU that are most likely to agree to help poorer regions are also those that do not look kindly on discrimination.

Norway by the example is not even in the EU, I think they were just trying to be nice to a poor town in Poland.

5 Likes

Oh, that’s right!

However, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway are part of the EEA. They gain access to the European Single Market, and in return…

4 Likes

It’s a similar level of self foot-shooting to areas of the UK that had previously been the recipients of EU funds, voting to leave the EU.

8 Likes

They touch on it a bit but the investment goes far beyond Ebbw Vale, Wales has had over £5 billion since 2000 from the EU with the forever ongoing Heads of the Valleys road construction relying heavily on the funding. Doesn’t matter though, people just didn’t want phantom immigrants cluttering up the place. :man_shrugging:

How is that shared prosperity funding going by the way?

5 Likes

Three Stabby Things on a yellow and red background. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think stupid is the right word. It’s the classic formulation:

1. Try to control other people’s actions with economic incentives
  2. Fail
  3. Say that other people are crazy or stupid instead of admitting you can’t control people with economic incentives

The problem here is that this person hates gay people. It isn’t that they don’t know what’s best for them. Pushing back against people who try to use economic influence to make you abandon your values is probably often a reasonable thing to do. But if your values say that gay people are bad, you should get better values for non-economic reasons.

7 Likes

Actually my first thought was a Vonnegut drawing.

6 Likes

Not quite. You’re correct that Norway isn’t an EU member, but the transfer happens under an EU scheme that Norway happened to sign up for. So it’s different from a completely bilateral arrangement, such as Norway giving foreign aid to a developing country.

EDIT: Actually, Jerwin’s answer above is a lot more precise.

2 Likes

I actually thought this article was going to be about how there were no longer creatives in the town and they had to settle for a crappy flag.

2 Likes

Countries in the EU are still separate countries - it’s not like the states in the United States.

3 Likes
3 Likes