"LGBT-free" town faces the consequences of its own actions

Originally published at: "LGBT-free" town faces the consequences of its own actions | Boing Boing

12 Likes

“We have become Europe’s laughingstock, and it’s the citizens not the local politicians who’ve suffered most.”

And you did it so well too. One would think that was the whole point…

42 Likes

Mayor Wilk, however, is adamant about the town’s declaration being repealed, not because he supports the rights of LGBTQ people, but “because it’s harmful for the town and its inhabitants.”

43 Likes

The suffering of innocent citizens that are just trying to live their lives while someone else is taking away their ability to do so… hmmm… i can’t put my finger on why this is ironic

37 Likes

Christ, what a bunch of arseholes.

29 Likes

They should eschew any technology developed by LGBT people, so without Turing and Lynn Conway, they’d have to really limit their computer use. Possibly any Newtonian physics as well as the use of calculus. I know we don’t really know about Newton, but since there’s likely been many many who hid their identity, it’d be best to figure out how to not use about 4.5% of all medicines, technology, art and literature, straight (ahem) across the board. Maybe carry a twenty sided die everywhere, and if they roll a 1, they can’t do what they intended, things like using a tool or piece of tech, eating a certain dish, watch something on TV or move, listen to music or enjoying art, wearing any particular article of clothing. Might get cumbersome.

22 Likes

Off topic, but they have a nice flag at least.

I have gone down the rabbit hole of city flags in the past.

5 Likes

This has been a failed experiment in the past

5 Likes

In any such legislation, it ought to be standard practice to mention the names of the local bigots who inspired it in addition to the craven politicians who drafted and voted for it. That way, the hateful old farts who delivered misery to the town will be given proper “credit”.

16 Likes

“I don’t want their money,” he said, admitting that he’s never seen gay people in Krasnik but still felt precautions were necessary. “We will survive.”
Well, this is a textbook case of “stupid”, as in someone who harms not only others, but primarily him/herself, and is proud of the fact.
As a secondary point, see this rather nice picture?

It’s by Leonardo, and it’s to be found in Cracow. But ol’ Leo wuz SO GAY, therefore Italy will be glad to have that back. Can’t have things by such people in a pure, God-fearing country, mmm?

18 Likes

So close…he was so close to finally comprehending that LGBTQ folks ARE part of the town’s inhabitants and thus should not be put in a harmful situation.

24 Likes

So this guy outright says he wanted a symbol that reactionary bigots would like; then pulled out the surprised pikachu face when everyone correctly interpreted his symbol as meaning exactly what he said he wanted it to mean?

Do you even what symbols are for, Wilk?

15 Likes

Surprising that the town gets so much money from foreign entities, is this a common thing among developed nations?

2 Likes

It is kind of sad to see Poland’s yearning for freedom from Soviet rule be forgotten and now they are the oppressors.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the normal level is for disbursing international transfers of various sorts; but it would appear (going by the table on page 24) that Poland being on the receiving end of EU-state money is the norm rather than the exception.

4 Likes

I forgot about the EU aspect to this. Makes sense how this type of funding can be linked to a human-rights take on things.

3 Likes

10 Likes

I mean, Leibniz never married but I don’t think I have heard of specific speculations that he was gay

2 Likes

I think they were suggesting Newton made the calculus. *ducks*

4 Likes

Yeah, I mean, some people believe that sort of thing…