Liberace and young folks performing "Feelin' Groovy" (1968) 

Originally published at: Liberace and young folks performing "Feelin' Groovy" (1968)  | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That was truly painful to watch.

15 Likes

I’ve never seen squarer people in my life.

10 Likes

I thought it was campy - but fun.

6 Likes

Lawrence Welk did it better:

“Don’t you cats know this polka jazz is strictly from Squares-ville? I can’t stand that kind of music.”

Ironically, he reportedly really wasn’t thrilled with the music his audience demanded from him.

8 Likes

Liberace was great.

And a little Victor Borge just because I miss his PBS specials.

11 Likes

So brilliantly white…

Tired Wake Up GIF by good-morning

13 Likes

Liberace seems to be faking the piano part, but pretty much nailed the dance moves. Funny!

3 Likes

Even better hip Welk, doing “one of the new songs”:

11 Likes

Wow, the 60’s were a helava drug… like all of them.

3 Likes

That cough in the intro is brilliant.

5 Likes

Now you know why we used to say “Never trust anyone over 30” …

5 Likes

Sweet mother of God, make it stop.

6 Likes

Yikes, that clip had zero soul…

O_O

10 Likes

I discovered recently that Lawrence Welk Show reruns were still being shown on one of our second-tier PBS stations. Who watches this? I mean, my grandparents used to watch it but they and pretty much everyone from their generation aren’t around anymore. Do you get to a certain age where you starting thinking Welk is pretty cool? Should I be scared? Is Welk a gateway drug and soon you’re listening to Mantovani and Mitch Miller and all those guys whose records you find at the thrift store? I have serious concerns.

13 Likes

7 Likes

Similar “fish out of water” thing for Liberace. Same song, different backing band.

3 Likes

Goddam, you see those enormous rings he’s wearing, and he still plays piano like that? It’s like seeing someone lap you in a running race, and then see he’s wearing leg irons and a ball and chain. And dressed as a chicken. Oh, and by all accounts, he was a thoroughly lovely bloke too.

10 Likes

This is pretty much my plan if that situation ever comes to pass.

1 Like

There was, of course, a trend for “artists” like Pat Boone to whitewash R&B songs to make them palatable for white audiences (or more often, for the parents of the audiences and the people who owned the radio stations.) Simon and Garfunkel really did not need to be whitewashed!

7 Likes