Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

on air ugh GIF by Elvis Duran Show

and the Mutter museum…

6 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

1 Like

xkcd: Keyboard Mash

8 Likes

Some of them may exist in the childlike innocence of ‘low information’; but I can’t help but suspect that there’s more than a dash of “if you see acting in a mixture of reckless negligence and callous self interest as normal you tend to presume anyone who claims to mean well is lying”.

Similar to how getting extrajudicially executed by the cops is seen as less threatening than ‘the nanny state’, rather than vastly more threatening; because you’ve never seen a nanny empty a clip into someone, have you?

7 Likes

Sounds like a tactic to make some political hay coming from this premise :

1 Like

The only forcing that is going to be applied is the usual economic force that capitalism applies if pricing of our current protein sources is allowed to reach ridiculous levels.

This still isn’t a particularly desirable outcome, though. A world where the poorest have to eat bugs so that Bezos and his ilk don’t have to give up their private jets is a hideous neoliberal dystopia, and we should be trying to avoid that future. However, the way to avoid this will be to take a completely different set of actions to the ones that these conservative idiots will propose.

6 Likes

Agreed! Eating insects as a resource efficient protein source is all fine in principle, unless it becomes a tool of oppression and class control (as I suppose it inevitably will in America unless income inequality is addressed).

6 Likes

And @VeronicaConnor - IDK. I’m consistently shocked at how very cheap factory-farmed beef, pork and chicken is. When I think of what it would take for insect protein to be less expensive than $1/lb (I see chicken at this price regularly), I imagine improved farming policies being enforced. Environmental and humane. It doesn’t seem categorically bad or economically oppressive, from that view.

2 Likes

Yah, that’s a fair point. I would liken current factory farmed meat prices to fossil fuel products- the prices on them are artificially low because of subsidies and negative externalities. If the price of meat as currently produced included the cost paid to society for poor environmental and sustainability practices, it would be a lot less competitive. Still, it may also require more ethical animal treatment to be codified in regulations to really drive the price up to where insects make more sense. There’s a lot of variables here so I leave it to people smarter than me to figure out where those lines cross.

3 Likes

Fie on you sir! Your defeatism is un American. The answer, as always, is GUNS! Just dual-wield two of these bad boys and you’ll have a tasty dish of pre-seasoned insects in no time!

5 Likes

Sounds good. Can we also give them a wedgie and stuff them into their locker?

2 Likes

This was worth coming back from a 7 year hiatus for

4 Likes

Every accusation a confession.

Again.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.