Librarians must resist trumpism

One of my sweeties is the collections manager for her library. I’ve been to her department and noticed some of the books in the processing queue and wondered how tempting it must be to file something like the latest anti-science right-wing garbage under fiction, but she (and her staff) do indeed treat every book in a neutral fashion, at least when it comes to classification and making them available to the public. They’re great at defending that freedom of information, so yes, they are very much radical librarians. (@Akimbo_NOT - I can understand the reaction, but almost every librarian I’ve ever met has fallen into that category.)

7 Likes

Same. And precisely none of the many librarians I’ve met have been strident, shushing martinets like the stereotype would have me believe.

5 Likes

Well, admittedly, one of the two librarians I’m dating (they’re also dating each other, incidentally) and I have used “I’m pretty sure I wrote in a library book once” as a prelude to some of our kink scenes … but I think I’m just providing more evidence to break the stereotype.

7 Likes

:flushed:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes

9 Likes

This seems like a physical version of a warrant canary clause, which has been used as a defense against the Patriot act for a couple of years now.

6 Likes

Either way does this mean we can now append any name to -ism or -ist?

2 Likes

Not any name. I prefer to call my own personal philosophy Learned Cowardice, but for most names -ism or -ist should work.

5 Likes

What do you have against -ismism?

4 Likes

what a horribly nimelennarist thing to say!

6 Likes

10 Likes

5 Likes

Depends how you define conservatism. There are conservative librarians who cite pluralism and “individual self improvement” as conservative values in support of libraries.

Arguably, the ALA is hurt by the perception, however accurate, that it is a bastion of liberal politics. Though I suspect that the conservatism of conservative librarians won’t please Tea Partists.
A Phenomenological Study of Conservative Academic Librarians

3 Likes

Thought I recognised the name (and the screed of bellendery).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.