Librarybox beta goes 2.0: self-powered Wifi file-server that fits in your pocket

[Permalink]

That looks like repurposed TP-Link MR3020 - clicks link - YES!

There's dude in China whose selling WR703n's with double the RAM compared to the factory version. Search on Ebay for "WR-703n 64MB SLBoat".

You can then load Grugq's PORTAL software to use when you're feeling justifiably paranoid. Y'know, for when you're travelling in totalitarian states...say, the US of A.

It would be nice to have Librarybox also work on some open hardware like the Mesh Potato folks are putting together:
Mesh Potato 2.0 - Basic Edition - Mesh Potatoes
Here are the full design files and firmware:
Dragino Download Server ./downloads/motherboards/ms14/
The MP2 might actually be compatible since I think that the MP folks used a WR703n as their "development device"

I checked, and I still halped!
smiley
Looking forward to getting my hands on mine and putting it to the test.

Thanks for the pointer...I am looking at open hardware options now, hoping for some funding to be able to work towards that. This is the definition of a shoestring open source project, so I'm scraping funding as I can. But yes, having the whole stack be open source is a goal.

We're using a handful of OpenWRT compatible TP-Link routers, but the MR3020 is my fav. So many uses!

Been wanting to homebrew one of these out of thrift store routers and RasPi. What would really be awesome, would be a 'speakeasy' version, that doesn't announce itself unless you know the secret door-knock.

A mesh potato library box could create a nice decentralized telecom system for a village - voice and data..

How is this better/different than a Pirate Box? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PirateBox

The word library. smiley

Its had more DevTime on it, and added more features.

As I understand it the Librarybox is some sort of limited piratebox. You can download content but not upload and is therefore more palatable to the public ('cause perception: pirate=bad).

It's a fork of Piratebox, with the Kickstarter-funded v2.0 development doing a lot of code work that ended up rolling back into the Piratebox project itself (specifically the install process). The underlying codebase is the same, with customizations for UI and a few pieces of special sauce (statistics!)....

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.