Life in NYC's luxury residential skyscraper not so deluxe

Maybe there’ll be a documentary on the eventual repairs, similar to what happened with Citigroup Center.

2 Likes

Since we’re talking about crappy high rises, some of you might enjoy this. The Aqua Tower in Chicago:

Is essentially a sky rise-sized heat transfer unit or fin radiatior, as seen in this IR image:

8 Likes

Feeling sorry for someone who got what they wanted and what they deserve? Who doesn’t have to worry about going hungry, being persecuted or killed? Why would we feel sorry for them?

Enjoy your super-high-rise. I have no interest in such an ostentatious and impractical abode. Even if I had the means, I wouldn’t waste it on such pompous grandiosity.

3 Likes

There ain’t no such thing as a free brunch.

4 Likes

17 million dollars is a lot of brunch

5 Likes

From then on this persona, Gabriella, was really organically evolving from the questions she got from the real-estate agents. For example, at the first viewing, I arrived quite nervous—I got a cab from 100 meters away from the building, just so I could arrive in a cab. No one saw it, but it put me in the mood. And I got a lot of questions like, “Oh, wow, I love your necklace, who’s the designer?” For that one, my answer was that “it’s a Hungarian designer,” and that became my answer to any outfit questions. Or they asked me if we have a chef in the family. And then at the next viewing, I directly started talking about “our chef” or his needs.

Oh, and I had a fake personal assistant. Her name was Coco. I made an email address for her, and she got questions about what the company was, and we said “antiquarian business, dealing with art from medieval to contemporary,” and we had to give the name of the company — the husband’s company.

Nobody performed in person as her, though?

No — she was my third persona, I guess.

Did you dress up?

Yes, of course! I spent my entire budget I got for this arts residency on clothes and bags and manicures and makeup. But it wasn’t like anything very extreme — I was opting for sophisticated lady, somehow …

11 Likes

“Everybody hates each other here,” she said

Well turns out we all hate you too.

BTW there’s a link in the article to an excellent NYT article on the planning shenanigans that the recent supertall super skinny condos in NY do in order to be legal.

1/4 of the floors, 1/3 of the height is uninhabited so doesn’t count for planning limitations. Also they use up height/density from the whole block of low rises. Why? From the article above:

The motivation to build tall is obvious: panoramic views for residents and hefty profits for developers. A 95th floor condominium at 432 Park Avenue sold in December for $30.7 million, or about $7,592 a square foot. That same month, a unit about halfway down the building sold for $4,216 a square foot.

9 Likes

In fact, I’m guessing that “oil and gas business” probably doesn’t mean that at all. What they probably mean is “oil capitalism”, which is a huge amount of money that is several steps removed from anything greasy.

Like slavery capitalism, oil capitalism is the real source of resistance to any change.

7 Likes

Most likely booster pumps at appropriate levels to keep the pressure up, also multiple pipes to serve seperate blocks of floors. Hot water may be piped from the basement or water taken from the cold line and heated to serve a certain amount of floors with seperate heating stations spread up the tower.

5 Likes

Has anyone read “The World Inside”? Does it seem possible there will eventually be 3 Km-high towers?

5 Likes

No, and this caused a funny misunderstanding. At first I thought you were talking about this, also a very good read:

2 Likes

The idea of him being known for sloppy buildings makes me deeply uneasy, knowing he handled the 2013 expansion of the Cleveland Museum of Art. As much as I love the connection between the two buildings, the idea of shoddy work destroying the contents is terrifying.

6 Likes

Their son “owns a local football club…”

4 Likes

Well, hunh. I guess Fyre Festival wasn’t a one-off.

5 Likes

I am lazy to convert your Freedom Units to what we use in the rest of the world. But …
1 floor = cca 10feet = 3m (including thickness of materials, the room is 2.6m high, usually)
So 10 floors is about 30 meters and that is 3Atm hydrostatic pressure. We have been building buildings like that for decades here. All you need is a sufficient water pressure and pipes that can withstand the pressure needed to supply water to the top floor. Of a building built on a hill ;-). So waterworks maintain the pressure and we are happily taking showers at 13th floor. And using central heating using radiators filled with hot water.
You are in for a lot of fun when a water pipe bursts at ground level and an artifficial Geyser appers on the street.

Waterworks usually maintain a tank somewhere, like a nearest hill or so that is located higher than the highest building and top up water as needed. Or use pumps to maintain pressure of XY Atm (depending on town / city geography).

3 Likes

Are you really going to side with the flower oligarchs on this one?
(\s)

6 Likes

Obviously! Do otherwise at your own peril. :wink:

9 Likes

Yeah, fuck those people, man.

2 Likes

I wonder how many of these are trump properties…

1 Like

I like the aqua tower.

2 Likes