Like it or not, the far right is heading for Germany’s Bundestag

Yes, I’ve given up with Australian parties. I always have to look those up. The names just don’t match with what I understand.

I mentioned this above. You should see the video, it is pretty shocking. Her comments before leaving the room contrast being a force for anarchy vs. a part of government, and clearly are rebukes to the more-right wing of the party for being unwilling to moderate its more extreme positions.

So I see. I missed that part.

1 Like

The AfD was supposedly a party for the people who thought that the CDU was leaning too far to the left. Petry and her kind stand mostly for deregulation and law and order, but the party rose to success by catering to nationalists and racists.

2 Likes

Shades of Farage and UKIP. I can’t think that’s a coincidence.

1 Like

Nothing at all like it.

By the way, DW livestreams on YouTube in English, it probably isn’t the most well-rounded coverage but it is better than the coverage in the US and the UK.

1 Like

True.

Farage left at a point where he could say he’d achieved his political aim and could happily sit on the sidelines watching his party argue itself into irrelevance while still maintaining his position as a potential threat to the Tories while also leaving him free to inflict himself on the US.

Unfortunately, he still sticks around Europe…

1 Like

Just FTR, I am still aghast. But as some commentators start to point out, the real trouble with the most likely coalition (in fact, the only realistic coalition…) is the impact the Chancellor-makers of the so-called liberals are going to have on the European project. The FDP is going to violently oppose fiscal integration within the EU. Most of the original start-up of the anti-EU party AfD came from corners of the society which would have been called “FDP-nah”, i.e. close to the “liberal” parties positions.

Macron is going to have serious trouble with the next bundesdeutschen minister of economy, and the minister of finances to a certain extent.
Junker, too.

Prediction: when shit hits the fan in a couple of months, the EU will have a serious row over money, and the German’s position won’t look sensible for basically everyone outside of Germany. Which, in turn, will strengthen the nationalists base in and outside of the FRG. =(

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.