Like Nothing on Middle-earth

I think you’re right. I was going to qualify that with pointing out that in this case I was talking about fan films – but, part of what surprised me in this case was the direct involvement of a lot of “production types”. From one job I had for a cable TV station, I got the impression that the higher up someone was in the hierarchy, the more confident they were in their creativity, and the less creative they actually were.

A curious thing about the labels “science fiction” and “fantasy” is that the former seems to be used as a broader category that encompasses the latter, which is kind of backwards. Most often, “fantasy” seems to be used only to refer to fiction using a set of tropes derived from Tolkien and others that passed through the crucible of D&D. An upshot of this is that a lot of interesting fiction that isn’t really related to scientific speculation, is labelled “science fiction”.

There’s abundant evidence of that. There’s the immense popularity of anime, to start with.

I used to go to a theater in Berkeley that showed movies from Hong Kong every Thursday night, most of which I’d characterize as “fantasy”, but based primarily on Chinese mythology, history, and literature, and the theater was always crowded, with an audience of all ethnicities.

There are heated debates, but there are a lot of fans of the Elder Scrolls series of games who believe that the best of the series was Morrowind. While the pseudo-European elements from the other games in the series were present, the main setting was heavily influenced by southeast Asian cultures and religions, as well as by esoteric ideas about magic and ontology. Much of the writing was done by Michael Kirkbride, who was brought on the team for Daggerfall, and who contributed significantly to Red Guard – which also took place outside the faux-European part of the setting, and in which, notably, the protagonist and most of the major characters are black. Kirkbride was less involved in Oblivion and Skyrim, unfortunately.

I once came across a graphic Kirkbride drew for a book for an RPG setting, Tékumel – which was one of the first RPG settings developed, after D&D was invented, and was originally developed by M.A.R. Barker, a scholar in Urdu and in South Asian studies. I’m not thoroughly familiar with the setting, but it’s intentionally designed to emphasize South Asian influences. (I’ve kept meaning to ask Kirkbride about his involvement with Tékumel and whether that came before or after his work on Morrowind.)

Coincidentally, I was excited to get an email yesterday from a bookstore that they’d got a used copy of “Flamesong” by M.A.R. Barker. His novels have been out of print for years.

[quote=“FoolishOwl, post:21, topic:53039”]
Coincidentally, I was excited to get an email yesterday from a bookstore that they’d got a used copy of “Flamesong” by M.A.R. Barker. His novels have been out of print for years.[/quote]
They’re pulp fantasy, but good pulp fantasy. And yeah, they’re certainly not Tolkien. The protagonists of Flamesong are soldiers of the fire-sect of Vihumla (working from memory there). They get slung around Tekumel on an ancient subway system, find a lost civilization, get accused of desertion and sentenced to impalement (nice professional chatter from a couple who erect impalement spikes) . . . like H. Rider Haggard stuff, but from a very educated and well-travelled 20th century American muslim convert.

I heard reprints (eBooks?) were in the works.

2 Likes

I would want Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon for the leads… as they were back when they starred in “Tremors”.

1 Like
<blockquote Think what you want of his latest outing (The Hobbit trilogy), but after the success of The Lord of the Rings, Jackson demonstrated that with few bottles of spirit gum, some truckloads of hand-crafted hobbit feet, and throngs of naive and gung-ho Kiwis, anyone can make their own swords-and-sorcery epic.

Except millions of dollar was thrown at this film and it could not have been made otherwise? I think that Jackson certainly came from a DIY filmmaker background, more akin to the original Evil Dead flims (by the Raimi Bros and their friends) or Lloyd Kaufman and the Troma films, or Smith and Clerks/Chasing Amy era, but I think ever since Heavenly Creatures or Frightners, he has surely been a more studio based director who far more resrouces? The LOTR films got enormous backing and had huge amounts of money thrown at it, yeah - I don’t think you can say it had the same DIY spirit as Meet the Feebles.

2 Likes

I can’t thank Ethan enough for the great article - giving a voice to indie filmmakers like us. Filmmaking is never a solo sport and certainly this was the case for us. It takes an army to pull something like this off. I appreciate all of the thumbs up and those who encourage us in what we are doing. I look forward to bringing you all The Rangers and then following it up with several other projects we have in the works. Would love for many of you to join us (yes, even on set! Really…)
I’ve learned long ago - we are not going to please everyone. I do find it funny though that if we were to just encourage one another what we could all become at the end of it all. I hear so many saying they love indie film and support them, but we’ve created a notion of criticals - not critics; and rarely have I found that they themselves braved the waters of filmmaking…
For all of you with us - let’s do this!

2 Likes

To be fair, the same could be said of the official Star Trek films.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.