Linda Ronstadt's 1983 warning about Rupert Murdoch's dangerous media tactics was eerily prophetic

Originally published at: Linda Ronstadt's 1983 Warning About Murdoch's Media Tactics Still Rings True

6 Likes
13 Likes

Just one more reason, out of many, to love Linda.

11 Likes

Everyone should have listened to this golden-voiced Cassandra. Now it’s pretty well understood that any liberal democracy where the Murdoch press has an outpost is in greater danger of being tilted into fascism.

9 Likes

Fox News was always just the TV version of tabloid/yellow journalism-- obviously he would buy the NY Post, where every issue had all-caps shocking headlines that take up half the page.

You try to explain that to your crazy uncle at Thanksgiving with “it’s a business model, they get you hooked on fist-pumping rage over shit that doesn’t exist or doesn’t matter like ‘The War on Christmas’ or Benghazi” and he’ll just retort “the liberal media does it too, global warming isn’t real!” And you’re back to square one debating the nature of reality.

4 Likes

The best being of course the Plow King commercial:

5 Likes

Reminds me a bit of this advice from Courtney Love back in 2005

7 Likes

I hate to call a reboing (2022-04-06) on this one, cause it’s worth posting twice! More of an “ICYMI-boing”

3 Likes

And I responded to that one too. When I was in high school most guys had that Farrah Fawcett poster up in their rooms. I had pictures of Ronstadt. I loved her voice and music (still do).

And when I saw this in a documentary, I loved her even more.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.