Linda Ronstadt on Rupert Murdoch in 1983: "He's bad for journalism"

Originally published at: Linda Ronstadt on Rupert Murdoch in 1983: "He's bad for journalism" | Boing Boing

13 Likes

22 Likes

Still not wrong. Good call.

15 Likes

Rupert MurderDoch, it just won’t die…

13 Likes

Rupert,

16 Likes

14 Likes

As if I needed another reason to love Linda.

13 Likes

Bad for liberal democracy, too. The relative mainstream political power of the authoritarian right in Western countries can be roughly correlated to the reach of Murdoch-owned outlets in those countries.

17 Likes

Angry Go Away GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

12 Likes

Sigh. I know. I was madly in love with her when I was young. Freaking wonderful singer and beautiful (I may or may not have had posters of her). In recent years I’ve impressed with the way she has comported herself when she lost her ability to sing. And now this. Sharp, insightful and absolutely correct.

4 Likes

If this interview took place in 1983, wouldn’t that be 13 years before Fox News? I believe it launched in 1996. Anyway, my general policy is to agree with anything Linda Ronstadt says, she’s amazing.

4 Likes

Yes.

The Fox Broadcasting Company network, which is entirely separate, was launched in 1986.

1 Like

Do you think he just appeared, fully formed with Fox news? He’s been in international journalism since the 60s…

3 Likes

I think that was a typo by @Carla_Sinclair .

1 Like

Ah! That would also explain that… but I suspect people knew he was problematic prior to 96 anyway, since he was already in journalism. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you lpjqok, I will add the “1” to that.

3 Likes

2g0g2z

3 Likes

Rupert Murdoch has been bad for journalism since at least 1952

4 Likes

I’m familiar with Murdoch’s dismal career. The post references specifically Fox News.

I didn’t believe he “just appeared, fully-formed with Fox News.” I’m old enough to be familiar with the dreck he pushed using the Sun, the News of the World, etc. back in the 80s. The post specifically referenced Fox News, so that’s why I asked the question.