Liquid Death transcends water by hijacking our lizard brains

I’m an old fart and use the caffeine in coffee as an analgesic for my sore muscles, tendons and ligaments. Coffee doesn’t keep me awake but lets me sleep with less discomfort.

10 Likes

plastic leeches, especially in hot weather. i don’t know for sure which is better but i’d assume it was cans.

and plastic is rarely recycled, while aluminum at least sometimes is. so i’d consider that a win too.

( having your own reusable water bottle is even better, of course. but if you’re going to buy something disposable… )

9 Likes

Ifc Is It Though GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

11 Likes

No, but I’m guessing the dudes that run the company love punk and metal and think that they’re in the mode…

7 Likes

Seems like that would be a good name for a hot sauce… so, is the white can Dysentery & the black can Cholera?

I used to get those, back in the day.
Think Cracker Jacks, without the peanuts. Or the toy.

Yep. Kinda like this:

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer to these, but I believe aluminum cans are much easier to recycle than plastic bottles, unless that’s changed over the past few years. About the only advantages I see to bottles are that they advertise the contents (not really relevant for water, but probably a plus for brightly colored drinks like Mountain Dew or Gatorade), they’re larger, and they’re resealable… though I’ve recently seen aluminum cans with twist-off lids in brands like Jumex, so even that isn’t always true.

6 Likes

I like to have a small reserve of potable water on hand in case of emergency. I currently keep a few 5 litre plastic bottles on hand and these work pretty well. But I have an idea that aluminium cans might have a much longer shelf life. I have no evidence for this one way or another, but it seems plausible.

I also like that they’re more easily stackable and as such might offer a storage advantage.

5 Likes

Shelf life MAY be an issue with aluminum cans. I used to collect limited edition sodas and many of the aluminum cans sprung pinhole leaks over the years, which the plastic bottles never did. However, that may have been caused by the carbonation or ingredients and might not ever be a problem with canned water.

5 Likes

I find Liquid Death delightful. But hate hate hate that even in a 9 pack it costs over $1 a can. Not their plain water or bubbly stuff, but the Lime. I love lime. And they add just enough agave to cut the edge (as opposed to a Bubly which has flavor but no sweetness). I just need a non-Sodastream non-single use CO2 tank way to carbonate water, then I could add my own lime and agave.

2 Likes

Pretty surprised to not see this here yet

3 Likes

I’m surprised you are only learning about this now, they started in 2019 with very aggressive digital marketing on instagram. Maybe that says something about what the algorithms think about you :joy::joy::joy:

Okay but there’s plastic inside the cans so…

1 Like

I don’t think the author claimed to have just found out about the product, and indeed the article is only partially about the product. The Atlantic article cited by the author is about how Liquid Death engaged in their marketing campaign, and the article expands into a broader description about marketing campaigns. And just to make sure you didn’t miss the point the author adds:

4 Likes

6ja5h7

2 Likes

This. My kid buys it just to support this facet of it, to give non-drinkers and recovering alcoholics a way to feel more included at gatherings where most people are drinking alcohol. Plus my kid (in their 20s) doesn’t drink by choice, so the idea of having a cool-looking beverage to consume with others has personal appeal.

4 Likes

That canned water claims to be from the Alps.

Fun fact: under Swiss law, every fountain which does not have a sign indicating the water is not suitable for drinking is considered drinking water. In Germany, the signage “no drinking water” is ubiquitous, but legally not required, since under German law, public fountains are no Trinkwasserentnahmestellen.

In short,: for the Swiss, it’s: no sign? Still fine!

So, possible but not probable source for canned water from the Alps: any fountain, well or even trough.

Image does not link properly - :penguin: :fountain: from Frauenfeld. Just look at it.

Apparently no longer from the Alps according to a confused Wikipedia entry.

I made this comment on a bbs thread years ago (but on my phone so not easy to find), but wouldn’t it be great if someone invented a way of sending water directly into people’s homes, like some sort of aquatic internet? That would be amazing.

Let me dream.

10 Likes

With you on that. It would be amazing to have water on tap.

8 Likes