How Liquid Death took the water market by storm

Originally published at: How Liquid Death took the water market by storm | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Doing quite well with my Doom Cabbage brand as it happens

20 Likes

Doing your bit to further accelerationist aims too, what with the methane emissions.

6 Likes

Why do people assume that spring water is always the best stuff?

It has to be tested and monitored just like any other source of water. A little mercury or arsenic from human mining or natural sources, and it really would be liquid death.

19 Likes

I know! It’s so stupid.

Everyone knows that you want your water coming from an artesian well

7 Likes

Because nature got branded.

16 Likes

Liquid Death’s owner explains how he used clever marketing to trick people into drinking buying water.

17 Likes

There”s nothing noble or healthy about bottling water in one part of the world, then burning millions of gallons of diesel to ship it to hipsters in another part of the world.

It’s also a myth that people don’t drink enough water and that drinking more is somehow necessary for good health. Drink when you’re thirsty. That’s it. The “eight glasses a day” thing is a myth and it’s a myth that we’re all somehow walking around dehydrated all the time.

The western world spent 100 years building a sophisticated drinking water system that plumbs perfectly clean water, regularly tested by transparent government agencies, to every single residence. Except for some rare and tragic breakdowns of this system (such as Flint and Jackson) there is no reason to drink bottled water. Bottled water is an environmental disaster.

Bottled water is less well regulated than tap water is, so fun fact– you’re more likely to get sick from it.

Fuck this guy.

48 Likes

So clever in fact that I’ve never heard of it.

12 Likes

I’ve only bought it by accident. Their branding is similar to that of my local brewery and both types of can are often on the end-cap of the aisle.

Stupid water:
Liquid-Death-Water-Image-500x500

Tasty beer:

18 Likes

“Highly Sessionable”?

10 Likes

Doesn’t get much more sessionable than 0% ABV

12 Likes

This. The “problem” bottled water solves is some asshole doesn’t have enough money.

15 Likes

I actually came here to do what you beat me to. There are, with some limited exceptions (I’m looking you, everyone who was involved in the Flint, M. catastrophe), no good reasons to use bottled, or canned, water.

7 Likes

Well I like carbonated unsweet beverages so I bought one. Weird artificial coconut taste and slight foaminess, really reminds me of sunscreen. Gross. Now, this new carbonated-hop-water thing like e.g. lagunitas is doing-- that’s tasty. I feel like alcohol is the worst part of beer though so ymmv.

4 Likes

This needs an old post of mine in response:

20 Likes

The only time I’ve seen “sessionable” is Scientology, when they mean that someone is okay for an auditing session on the e-meter.

4 Likes

That was what was kind of poking at my mind too! But I guess it’s just delicious hops water!

4 Likes

So, my spouse and I were having a discussion about if it would be prudent for the government to have a “national water reserve” to truck down to disaster areas when there was no water and to prevent price gouging. Plastic bottles for the water wouldn’t be useful because the plastic degrades. Then one of us said, “Soda comes in a can. I guess you can put water in a can, too…”
Liquid Death appears on the grocery store shelf the following week and I brought home a can as proof of concept. We had a laugh and eventually drank it.

3 Likes

Budweiser regularly switches over their canning plants to can water insteard of “beer” when disasters happen or are expected to happen. It takes them barely any time to switch over so they don’t need to stockpile. Also since they have so many canning plants they dont have to deal with the hassle of trucking water across the country.

32 Likes