List of unusual things people do in hotel rooms

Originally published at: List of unusual things people do in hotel rooms - Boing Boing

5 Likes

So,

• Sterilize the remote.
11 Likes

My friend would open all the taps and turn on the lights lights then leave for dinner.

1 Like

Admire the tasteful and understated decor.

5 Likes

David Sedaris wrote an essay about the moment he knew he had to give up smoking. At the time he was doing a lot of touring for speaking engagements, but even when he’d travel expenses-paid he ended up staying at a lot of gross flophouses because those were the only places that still allowed people to smoke in their rooms.

One day he went to turn on the TV, noticed the white crusty flecks on the remote control, and knew it was time to make a major lifestyle change.

4 Likes

I guess the things rock bands have done in hotel rooms would have to be an entirely different list.

83dff1e8-48e1-4b7b-b989-93f41aa2a9c6_text

9 Likes

Well… that is not what I expected “blackout showers” to mean.

Also: WTF is going on with (all the parenthesis?)?

8 Likes

Sex with strangers (who end up being friends)

1 Like
  • Change out the towel every day for a fresh one, whereas at home one just keeps using the same towel every day for several weeks
  • Call the front desk, “hello, room service? Send up a room”
  • Leave a note behind the framed artwork, e.g. “help! I am being held hostage in this hotel room”
7 Likes

Note to self: Never use a black light in a hotel/motel room. Urk.

3 Likes

One of the things that I like to do is to take a shower in the bathtub with the stopper in so that it gradually becomes a bath.

3 Likes

Use the provided pen and notepad to write a mildly threatening note, then remove the top sheet leaving just the imprint of your note on the pad.

6 Likes

5765a94440f21a599f695b70f1e14324

2 Likes

Sex with friends who later become estranged?

4 Likes

shower GIF

5 Likes

Put me down for clean the room.

Since long before covid I’ve been a gernaphobe, it started when I quit drinking and progressively gotten worse. Covid certainty hasn’t helped.

We carry disinfectant wipes, spray, hand sanitizer, and alcohol.

Everything gets wiped, switches, faucet handles, bathroom floor, shower floor, sinks, everything, especially the remotes. The sheets and pillows also get sprayed.

I don’t walk barefoot on the carpet.

Haven’t stayed in a hotel since January 2020.

Do not read the following if you ever want to stay in a hotel again.

We were staying in a pretty decent hotel several years ago, I was on the phone when my wife came out of the shower visibly distressed.

I’ll call you back, what’s wrong?

She pulled a clean towel off the rack and a used tampon fell out.

When I called the front desk, they didn’t care or offer us another room or even clean towels.

We didn’t sleep that night and left at 3am just to get out.

That’s the creepiest thing ever.

1 Like

I mean, I have a weaker disgust reaction than is the average, but…

If housekeeping came and simply swapped out all of the bathroom towels for me I’d be happy with that and would put the incident out of mind. Can’t control everything.

2 Likes

I just want everyone to know I’m an absolute saint at hotels: never taking too much, towels all in a pile, trash in bins. I don’t make the bed or anything, but a ten-dollar bill on the pillow before I leave.

2 Likes

Cringe Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I haven’t spent a lot of time in hotels, and have no horror stories.

The one awful temptation I do have, which says more about me than the hotels I’ve been in, is to take a small phillips screwdriver and swap a few room numbers around.

2 Likes