Listen: Chris Cornell covered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" and it's intense, haunting, and no joke.

Originally published at: Listen: Chris Cornell covered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" and it's intense, haunting, and no joke. | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Just a stunningly great version of this song. Exactly right… playing a cover like you wrote it, not trying to repeat the sound of the original version.

Man, I miss this guy.

6 Likes

I first heard this version with David Cook on American Idol, and loved it. This is the first I heard of the Chris Cornell version, and even though it is the same base version, there are some cool differences, things about both versions that I really like. I like how David Cook escalates towards the end then closes the song quietly, but I like Chris’ clear voice in the beginning, it feels haunting.

2 Likes

That is a truly wonderful thing.
Why have I never seen this before?

1 Like

Saw the headline and thought this guy was up to some new tricks, but no, that’s Charles Cornell.

He mostly seems to do music theory stuff these days, and I guess it’s important for a creator to pursue his own interests rather than cater to the whims of the audience. But I miss the old stuff.

His version of Nothing Compares 2U is incredible too.

Yeah. Still hurts :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Damn. Yes, he has a great voice – one of the best. But this is really insightful, too. It takes a great musician to dig into the depths of this song and bring it so strongly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.