Listen: Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) covers psych pioneer Roky Erickson (13th Floor Elevators)

Originally published at: Listen: Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) covers psych pioneer Roky Erickson (13th Floor Elevators) | Boing Boing

1 Like

I love Roky, and I welcome this album, but I think this will be the fourth tribute album to Roky/13th Floor Elevators. Some were done outside the USA so perhaps off the regular radar.

1 Like

Trippy Dude, trippy.

“Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye” is maybe the only ‘tribute’ album that ever stuck in my rotation. I never knew it was rereleased on Vinyl. Still have my cassette.

Which is the 4th one (this one, The Scandinavian one and Where the Pyramid meets the eye)?

From the three tracks that I’ve heard from this one it seems like they’ve chosen people with intereting voices to cover the songs. Even when Roky is fully in the horror world of his own making, that beatiful voice with so many tiny details has the magic in it. It’s easy just to get rock stars to play covers of the songs but they seemed to have gone the extra mile looking for interesting performances.

There was one from Australia too that came out last year.

[ETA: Huh. Looking on discogs there was also a Danish one from 1997.]

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.