Listen: Metallica covers Alice in Chains' "Would?"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/03/listen-metallica-covers-stone-temple-pilots-would.html

2 Likes

Unless I’m not getting the joke here, I think the reference to Stone Temple Pilots is a mistake

14 Likes

It’s an Alice In Chains song.

6 Likes

If I recall correctly, intentionally confusing STP for Pearl Jam, not Alice in Chains, was de rigeur in the 90s

9 Likes

You recall correctly

2 Likes

@pesco
bruh

6 Likes

Fixed. Thanks for the head’s up.

3 Likes

Does this mean they’re going to grow their hair long again?

1 Like

I like Kirk’s hat.

Oh man… Needed more coffee. Thanks all.

6 Likes

I bought tickets to the Shit Hits the Sheds tour in 1994 to see Alice in Chains. Unfortunately, AIC’s substance abuse issues caused them to drop out after I bought my tickets. Still went, and was rewarded with Metallica playing a few seconds of this song in what sure sounded like they were making a mockery of it (and presumably Layne Staley’s drug issues, etc). How times have changed.

1 Like

(Still showing up as STP on the BBS.)

It appears title updates no longer get applied to the BBS from the Discourse WP Plugin. that sucks. :frowning:

2 Likes

Kind of like this version? Instrumentally good, but seriously Hetfield… This is a serious mismatch for the song.

The original for reference (cued to vocals):

And yes I get that one’s “live” while the other’s been heavily processed, but Hetfield’s singing changes the tone completely (and all of the notes he just can’t reach).

2 Likes

To be fair, Hetfield is now 57. While Layne would have been 53, I don’t know that he could sing it like he did back then. People get old. Their voices get raspy.

1 Like

I still can’t tell STP and Pearl Jam apart and this is not me being ironic I really didn’t realize it was two different bands for years. I’m one of the oldest members of GenX, so maybe that’s why. Get off my lawn.

ohno

1 Like

Lemme start by saying that I was a little So. Cal skater metalhead growing up, and loved Metallica.

That being said, the walrus has never been known for his range or skill at singing. Yeah, it worked really well for the earlier stuff, but certainly not for their later stuff, or really anything where you have to hit actual notes.

(breaks out lawn chair and popcorn)

1 Like

Jesus that video is peak 90’s fashion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.