Metallica covers Prince's 'When Doves Cry,' unfortunately

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/07/metallica-covers-princes-w.html

4 Likes

Friend of mine tried to turn me on to metal some years ago, Metallica being one of the groups. Black Sabbath was probably another I was bored to tears. I had already found jazz, Mahavishnu being a start,. Course, then he put on Suicidal Tendencies. Ok, wait a sec…hum…It wasn’t Bach, whom I adore, yet compellingly frantic. They may have only done one good album, dunno. Most metal seems boring unless you’re a 13 y.o. boy. Then again, I absolutely loathe rap/hip hop so get off my lawn!!!

Metallica just needs to stop playing music altogether.

13 Likes

I’m gonna just wait for the mp3.

21 Likes

Kind of a bummer, Kirk Hammet and Robert Trujillo are good musicians they didn’t do that song justice at all… :frowning:

That was so bad, for a minute I thought it might be one of these… [bandname] “shreds”

3 Likes

now now. Metal and Metallica may not be your thing, but let’s not shit all over them for doing something they clearly felt would honor someone they respected and perhaps revered.

Just because a certain tea is not to your liking doesn’t mean others cannot enjoy it.

9 Likes

Well, at least we know what the doves are crying about now.

30 Likes

I couldn’t make it past the first verse.

3 Likes

Great googlymoogly, this is worse than that time Prince tried to cover Radiohead’s Creep. It’s not at all clear what song they’re trying to play at the beginning of it.

@ChuckV: I’m old enough to see what you did there. Well played.

8 Likes

I feel like spur of the moment live cover songs shouldn’t be recorded for posterity. It’s only worse now that everyone has a recording device. They’re usually done as a reference to something the band loves that they want to share with the audience, just as a break from the band’s set. Highlighted outside of it, they come across as a lot more serious. I can’t count the number of amazing fifties rock n’ roll songs I assumed were terrible because I had only heard 70’s bands do mediocre live covers. See: Led Zeppelin covering Eddie Cochran’s “Something Else,” for one example.

3 Likes

It wasn’t “cringey”, but I didn’t feel the heat, the heat between me and them.

9 Likes

Dig if you will this lukewarm cover…

15 Likes

No, no no and NO.
This time, I reject the chocolate added to my peanut butter.
Couldn’t get past first verse.

3 Likes

Napster BAD!

On topic, I don’t feel like my day will be made better for watching this video, so I’m just going to leave it unplayed.

7 Likes

7 Likes

1.) Prince has a pretty big catalog, surely there’s a song more suited to metal than this one.

2.) When musicians read from charts on stage (unless it’s classical music or complex jazz) they look like amateurs at an open mic night.

3.) it’s still better than the album they did with Lou Reed.

2 Likes

If you liked Suicidal and Mahavishnu, check out Bad Brains. “Rock for Light” or the live “Youth are Getting Restless” albums are the most frantic. They grew up playing Mahavishnu before discovering punk rock.

10 Likes

before watching it I was all geared up to write ‘calm down, any tribute is a good tribute’ but then I watched and listened and holy shit I’ve heard better cover tunes from 13 year olds in middle school talent shows.

6 Likes

I kind of like that Lou Reed one. For as large as they are, Metallica isn’t afraid to experiment. I can’t say they always pull it off though. That’s also my defense for a lot of St. Anger. They bore me to tears when they give they people what they want though (the last album, Death Magnetic).

I’ve always held a cover needs to be a reinterpretation, not just an imitation of somebody else’s song. By that measure, they succeeded. I guess.

2 Likes