Metallica covers Prince's 'When Doves Cry,' unfortunately

This seems like an opportune time to share a different cover of this same song:

21 Likes

Probably better than a Pat Boone metal version of it:

2 Likes

When musicians need to read the chords for a song like ‘when doves cry’ I also cry a little.

Sometimes I want to give up playing because I see 12 year olds absolutely killing it on Youtube, and I think what on earth do I have to offer that is at the same level as this. But then I saw this and I thought hmm you know what at least I don’t suck like these guys. And they are famous!

5 Likes

Must.

Go.

Listen.

To version on Purple Rain now.

4 Likes

I am not sure if you are aware or not, but the guy singing and playing bass in the video is the bass player from Suicidal Tendencies. I am not sure that is why you mentioned it or just a coincidence.

4 Likes

Definitely an interesting coincidence :slight_smile: Thank you.

1 Like

Excellent one-line review in the headine, Rusty!

4 Likes

The exact same thought came to me.
Or if they wanna listen to really fast jazz sans distortion, the minutemen.

3 Likes

No. This was bad. Amateurish guitar playing of the worst kind. On his own Trujillo might not have been as horrible, pair him with Hammet barely making an effort to learn the song and you have bad music.
People at the concert may have had a good time, getting thousands of people packed into a room tends to drive them temporarily insane.

2 Likes

Or just The Minutemen for no reason at all except, Minutemen!

Because, Minutemen!

6 Likes

I’m sure it’s terrible, without even listening to it yet. It’s not even suited to them musically.

It would have been much better for them to do “Sign O the Times”. If they had done a deeper cut like “DMSR”, that might have been superb.

1 Like

Funny you should bring up 1999, because I was thinking how much worse this could be if they tried to take a crack at Lady Cab Driver.

3 Likes

Even through my teenage years as a purist metal head I have always hated Metallica. There’s just something so phony about them. Even their name sucks. And this certainly didn’t help matters.

1 Like

Despite the popular belief Metallica are actually not a metal band.

3 Likes

Ha, yeah I’m listening to that right now as the next song after DMSR. All the rhythms would probably work nicely metalized, but the upbeat + the sexy is just a polar opposite for Metallica. They could probably pull off either one for a song, but both at once just seems a bad fit.

3 Likes

I was/am a metalhead and loved Metallica as a gateway drug all the way up to …and justice, which is still a fabulous album (with shitty production). Anything post the black album is a waste of everyone’s time though, just like U2 post Joshua Tree. So many stadium-sized bands have dramatic tipping points they never tip back from.

4 Likes

Your comment reminded me of a great Radiohead cover by Gnarls Barkley. It gives the song a completely different feel, yet I like it even better than the original.

2 Likes

Will do for two reasons: 1) Mahavishnu (but I have my doubts. I’ve experienced McLaughlin live doing Mahavishnu songs. Walked out during Stanley Clarke’s set because, well, just had a religious experience. Also had my ear drums pounded, Jeeze he plays fucking LOUD!) and 2) Bad Brains by Kathe Koja.

3 Likes

In general I’d agree with you. But then there’s SRV’s note for note cover of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

2 Likes

Now…This was worth watching.

1 Like