Listen to a Georgia cop reassure a white motorist that “we only kill black people.”

Exactly! Regardless of his intent or whether he was serious, the exchange was incredibly unprofessional…to make an understatement.

I understand that police work with people who aren’t always “professional”, but so do hospitals, schools, ministries, shelters, and so on. I’m really tired of the generally awful way police interact with the communities they are supposed to be serving even in the most mundane interactions.

10 Likes

Yeah, this. I think it’s pretty clear that he was being snide, annoyed at her attitude and saying, “Well, gee, isn’t the propoganda against us that we only kill black people, golly gee, you should be fine, riiight?”

Still a stupid, tone deaf thing to say. But anyone who uses this (and yes I’ve seen people spin it this way) to say it’s a cop admitting that he only kills black people is either missing the context, or being dishonest.

He absolutely still should be censured for it. Snide or not, it’s an utterly inappropriate thing to say.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reporting from inside this cop’s head. I feel ever so relieved now.

Do tell though, how did you get inside there?

4 Likes

An update: Lt. Greg Abbott has been fired.

In a related story, President Trump has appointed Abbott to be the Director of Homeland Security. Sheriff David Clarke, who has been offered a job as Director of Federal Bureau of Prisons, declined to comment.

7 Likes

Maybe, just maybethere’s hope.

4 Likes

It’s funny absolutely fucking horrifying because it’s true.

3 Likes

Wow, I mean wow. I can’t think of anything to say but that is fucked up.

Trusted Officer of the law and all… damnit.

1 Like

yeah, I thought that was too far over the edge to say so changed the tone

original post

• Why are white people serial killers…
2 Likes

I’m definitely going to add “thundering dumbass” to my arsenal.

1 Like

Defenders.

2 Likes

I wish i could believe that, but… I just can’t.

1 Like

The cop’s been fired (pending hiring by another jurisdiction, I’m sure).
But what I don’t know: Fired because of questionable humor, or for revealing department policy?

4 Likes

“Thundering dumbass.” A wonderful new descriptive phrase to ad to my lexicon. Thank you so bigly.

Just when I think I can’t be surprised anymore by the stupid awfulness of humanity…

Especially in Cobb County.

FYI, now they’re saying he has officially retired before he could be fired (according to the local public radio station). I’m sure there was pressure from the community to fire him, but also from officials in Cobb county to allow him to retire, so he can get full benefits…

2 Likes

Wow. That girl was right to not trust the police. Looks like the station can’t make the right choice even when they’re nearly forced into it.

1 Like

Indeed. And that should not surprise any of us at this point.

4 Likes

The fact that they were even planning to fire him means that he was facing more serious consequences for joking about murdering black people than he likely would have faced for actually murdering a black person.

4 Likes

Cops by now know the vacation policy. If you’re feeling overworked, stressed, you need to kill someone to get a vacation. This reinforces that if they talk about the vacation/killing policy they might get fired. Snitches get stitches and all.

It looks like chief “I feel that no matter what context you try to take those comments in, the statements were inexcusable and inappropriate” was trying to do the right thing. But in a messed-up enough system, that can have a perverse outcome.