Listen to Jon Bon Jovi cover "Fairytale of New York"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/11/listen-to-jon-bon-jovi-cover-fairytale-of-new-york.html

2 Likes

Got to “drunk tank” and I just couldn’t…

Dropkick Murphys is better…

Florence and the Machine with Billy Bragg!!!

10 Likes

I genuinely like this Bon Jovi Christmas cover:

Perhaps improved by the context in which I first heard it, A Very Special Christmas, which could get overly solemn.

2 Likes

Yeah… no.

I like Bon Jovi well enough, but I am still partial to the original, problematic 3rd verse and all.

9 Likes

It’s hard to beat it! Belongs on the list for one of the best songs of the 80s, for sure!

5 Likes

I can confidently say the best part is the lyric change in the third verse.

“Braggart”. Excellent. It would have worked just as well coming out of Kirsty MacColl in the original, making it less appealing to knuckleheads who hate LGBTQ people.

4 Likes

Live from here with Jeff Tweedy and others…

They just cut out the problematic verse altogether…

I kind of miss that show.

6 Likes

As we discussed in previous conversations, I completely missed the Pogues in the 80’s because of the demographics and lack of exposure in my area growing up.

Unlike our poor beleaguered @Tamsin_Bailey, I didn’t discover FoNY until a few years ago.

4 Likes

Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash and If I Should Fall from Grace from God (which has Fairytale on it) are two of my all time favorite albums…

But yeah, I didn’t really get into them until more recently either (early 2000ish).

Another great song from that album…

It got them cut while playing it live and the song was also banned:

7 Likes

I do “Birmingham Six” in my St. Patrick’s Day music sets!…in fact that was literally one of the songs I played in a room with other people during the Before Times…

4 Likes

Cool! You got a link to a video of that?

Ah yes… the before times… so long ago. :grin:

3 Likes

Same… Jon Bon Jovi singing the Kirsty MacColl part just made me miss her.

4 Likes

RIP.

4 Likes

That was dreadful. However, can’t wait for his reading of “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.”

That said, some of the other version posted are excellent and way more intriguing.

Thanks, I hate it.

3 Likes

That was great. I’ve been on a Wilco kick lately so this was a real treat to watch!

1 Like

2 Likes

Billy Bragg is Christmas music for me; one year CBC Radio did an hour or two all Billy Bragg on Christmas, ever since then… Never heard this cover before, though, very nice

2 Likes
2 Likes

Um…

2 Likes