Listen to the cowboy throat singer

M - Oh - Ah - I - E

It takes a lot of wind and you can get dizzy from practicing. Take a deep breath. Start with lips closed, almost a hum. That’s the “M”.

Gently part the lips to arrive at “Oh”.

Now - keeping the lips in the O position transition to “Ah”. Almost like trying to contain the sound in your mouth - this opens a larger resonant cavity.

Continue from Ah to “I” - this will reveal a lower subset of overtones; you should be able to feel it happening.

Then go from I to “E”. The full range of overtones is found between the I and the E.

I find it helps to tighten your gut as you chant. Your first efforts will wootle up and down like one of those corrugated plastic hoses kids whip around to make fun noises. With practice you can shift from tone to tone up and down the scale and land on specific notes. In time you’ll be able to hold the undertone and sing in the overtone range with greater volume and more precise control. You’ll also be able to hold the overtone on a specific note while varying the undertone. Tons of fun for the whole family.

M - Oh - Ah - I - E

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.