Listen to the musical roots of the Grateful Dead

Elizabeth Cotton was wonderful, and the story of how she was “discovered” is amazing. “The Anthology of American Folk Music” is a must for anyone who appreciates the roots of American music.

2 Likes

Phsh…
… he sounds, well, a little better than Garcia, I guess.

Yea, he’s something else.
I’ve been a fan since seeing the Derek Trucks Band live, and now I’m a huge fan of Tedeschi Trucks Band. They are a force of nature. We’ve never missed them when they come to town. One time we even scheduled an already planned fall trip to NYC around when they were going to be at the Beacon.
I LOVE Susan’s voice.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome. Speaking of bluegrass, I’ve really been enjoying Billy Strings in the last year. That kid is super talented.

2 Likes

The Tedeschi Trucks Band are incredible. I haven’t had the chance to see them live, yet, but I’m going to some day. They are, as you say, a force of nature. So much power and emotion, even when they’re just rehearsing.

Me, too! He’s phenomenal. I discovered him while bingeing on Molly Tuttle. If you haven’t come across her, yet, check her out! Her cross-picking material is just incredible (her fingerstyle stuff isn’t quite my thing, but it’s no less impressive).

Wow, she’s so good, thank you!
And she’s on bandcamp, which is nice. I buy stuff off there often.

I see what mean about her cross-picking. Outstanding.

2 Likes

Useful music map.

1 Like

Live music is the thing that I miss about pandemic times.

I was lucky enough to see Susan Tedeschi in a small blues club back in the 90s. Great show.

1 Like

It’s kind of weird that “No Sleep till Brooklyn” is NJ?

1 Like

Glad you’ve been enjoying her music! I need to work more of her into regular rotation, I think. The usual suspects are getting a little tired.

There’s a video out there somewhere where she’s got a camera on her picking hand. It’s pretty damn amazing to see the way her hands moves. If your rabbit hole hasn’t taken you there, yet, it’s worth the watch.

1 Like

And had a unique donut theme for each night, if I remember correctly. Not that I was there, just a Phish fan and read about it wistfully.

If you really like jams, search Youtube for “Phish Jams” or “Grateful Dead Jams”, etc. I’ve fallen into a deep hole of these 3 to 8hr long jam compilations for the past month.

Also… I’m listening to to the Grateful Dead RIGHT NOW!

1 Like

Molly Tuttle is a pretty good banjo player as well, and does a cool ‘clawhammer’ guitar.

1 Like

Adam was a NJ native, maybe a reference to the train trips?

1 Like

Probably.

Ad-Rock? He was born in NYC (Manhattan).

Reminds me of many years ago when I had the Dead’s Reckoning album on in my dorm room. Reckoning is a double-album of acoustic live performances by the Boys. My good-ol’ boy roommate walked in and was very surprised to hear me listening to “good music, for a change”. I told him to look at the album cover, and the look of shock and confusion on his face is something I still remember fondly.

Super talented and performs awesome covers of Dead tunes:

These are great.
This was another favorite of mine he did last year -

1 Like

So Cool! Takes courage to cover Leo Kottke: https://youtu.be/Y1bFiic8Q0s