Listen to this awesome cover of Don't Stop Me Now

Originally published at: Listen to this awesome cover of Don't Stop Me Now | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Jazzy take on a great song.

10 Likes

Now there’s a version you can really dance to.

6 Likes

Reminds me of Postmodern Jukebox and all the wonderful covers they’ve done.

19 Likes

She’s a great singer but it’s just too slow for me.

I’m a huge Queen fan seen Freddie live a few times and I enjoy a good cover but this doesn’t do it for me.

It’s said, by Jim Beach and Brian that before he died Freddie said “Do what you want with my music, just don’t make it boring.”

It would be interesting to hear his take on stuff like this but I suspect he would like it.

4 Likes

Some of their covers have beats/styles that I feel don’t jive well with the song but others are gosh dang amazing. Highly recommend people wander through the catalog - I bet you’ll find something you like!

If you want a longer version, the BBC version is here - Foxes performs 'Don't Stop Me Now' on board the Orient Express - Doctor Who: Series 8 (2014) - BBC - YouTube

9 Likes

There’s a current trend of taking popular songs and slowing them way down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. This one I thought worked pretty well.

5 Likes

Doesn’t that approach (if taken all the way) invalidate all sad or angry music? Sometimes a mood has to run its course. I dunno, I don’t think the “happy helmet” approach to music works for me for a similar reason why you can’t tickle yourself.

I tell you what though, I distinctly remember the last time I intentionally played “Don’t Stop Me Now.” My wife and I were having people over for a party at 6 o’clock. It was 5 and I had several last-minute errands to run. Did not think it was possible, but with laser focus at the stores, and some lucky traffic breaks, I picked up my last item at 5:50-ish and about five minutes away from home. So putting that song on the way back made perfect sense and was a huge thrill.

5 Likes

Not a cover, but one of the better things that Google has given the world…

9 Likes

Agreed - especially anything featuring Haley Reinhart.

(I’ve posted this here before but it is so utterly brilliant …)

She does a great version of Seven Nation Army with Postmodern Jukebox, too. Plenty of other great covers by Postmodern Jukebox on their YouTube channel - something for everyone.

8 Likes

I’ve seen this guy live as part of a hand picked group by Roger and Brian. He did vocals mixed in with original masters of Freddie for the movie Bohemian Rhapsody.

I know it’s not a new take or anything but he does channel Freddie.

2 Likes

Yes, I also felt the big Postmodern Jukebox vibe. And PMJ does have a cover! Slightly different take, but wonderful, as usual.

1 Like

I find myself increasingly drawn to the prospect of trying this song at karaoke some day. Probably one of those “call of the void” self-destructive impulses.

I submit this version, wherein the song encounters Phoenix Wright and Elite Beat Agents. Three things that go great together!

1 Like

My favorite cover:

1 Like

Props that this was featured in a Doctor Who episode.

3 Likes

Well, they definitely did a better job than our last Health Minister:

One of my favorite Queen songs, and I love her take on it. Doesn’t slow it down too much, and she doesn’t over sing it like a lot of modern young singers seem to do (I call the “Mariah effect”). Great voice.

1 Like

Mummy on the Orient Express, in fact. I remember when it was announced that Foxes was going to appear on DW and there was some hubbub.

1 Like

17 posts and no one has posted Laibach’s Queen cover?

People…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. Hadn’t seen it before. I think it’s my favorite of the covers posted here.

Coincidentally, this song has been on my mind since I recently found out about this LEGO commercial…

4 Likes