Queen's "We Will Rock You" not rocking at all

Originally published at: Queen's "We Will Rock You" not rocking at all | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Aber sonst ist wieder alles klar
auf der Andrea Doria.

Thanks, I hate it. Dixieland We Will Rock You is not the cover we seek. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

01570aa0-e3eb-4107-94fa-9ab0764ac76d

13 Likes

On the bright side, this day can only get better.

8 Likes

That was hideous. I loved it and was disappointed that it ended so soon. Maybe they will start using this version for sporting events - or not.

8 Likes

Now do Rock and Roll pt2 :wink:

I want a Dixieland cover of “Another one Bites the Dust”

4 Likes

None too keen on the original either.

1 Like

“Dixieland” jazz is one of those things that seemed to have several revivals in the 20th century, but if you listen to most of the modern Dixieland groups (what jazz lovers call “trad-jazz”), and compare them with original recordings from the 1920s you realize it’s really this souped up, cliche’d, and almost commercialized version of the music. The original stuff was a lot more grimey and funky, “gully low.” They didn’t swing as much as stomp. (I’ve been really getting into this music the last few years-- as I get older my taste in jazz gets older.)

Of course, grafting Queen onto either version of the music is bound to be bad.

Still waiting on a Queen-polka mashup.

7 Likes

Speak his name…

19 Likes

“You can do what you want with my music, but don’t make me boring.” Freddie Mercury… supposedly.

That dixieland version may or may not qualify, I vote for no but it was hard not to listen and I would have listened longer if there was more.

Not sure why this version never got more air play. We saw Freddie do this twice in Detroit way back in another lifetime.

On a side note, speaking of Queen, there is a pay per view this weekend of their recent 10 nights at the O2. You can find it on Ticketmaster. We’re gonna tune in Sunday night.

3 Likes

Rick Rubin “ruined” the song back in 1989. [ETA: Oops, 1991 I guess.]

3 Likes

Wtf was that?

I open to Queen covers but… ewww.

1 Like

I think I have this 12-inch somewhere in storage, it has multiple remixes, some better than others.

I’ve heard the band were OK with this release at the time but later soured on it.

1 Like
5 Likes

Ugh. I suppose that would have some interest as an historical artifact in say, a future Museum of Remixes.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, you want “Bohemian Polka” off of the “Alapalooza” album. It’s a straight-up polka cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It’s weirdly effective. 1000% wrong, but somehow wonderful too.

3 Likes

Red Allen would like a word.

1 Like