Listen to this weird instrumental Moog cover of "Hey Jude" from 1969

Originally published at: Listen to this weird instrumental Moog cover of "Hey Jude" from 1969 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Real or synth “flute”, the shittyness continues:

4 Likes

My dad had that LP and I listened to it a lot back in the day. Never realized until today it wasn’t by Wendy Carlos!

4 Likes

I had a pretty big collection of these moogsploitation lps at one point, including this one (I may still have it but I sold a lot of them.) Theres one on Mercury’s Limelight imprint “Moog Groove” thats also good, has another version of “Hey Jude” plus a couple other funky covers.

2 Likes

In 1967 Nonesuch Records released a two-disc box set called The Nonesuch Guide To Electronic Music, produced by Paul Beaver and Bernard Krause. It was basically a collection of various sounds the Moog synthesizer could create, and came with a booklet that explained what it was all about. The project culminated with a song called “Peace Three.” The set was the doorway to a new world of music for this just-out-of-high-school listener. Rips of the album are on YouTube for those interested.

A lot of 60s Moog music hasn’t aged well but (in my opinion) “Peace Three” is a nice piece of music and still stands up.

3 Likes

I dare anyone to find a weirder version of “Hey Jude” than this one by Don Ellis.

It’s funky, wacky, uplifting at the end, and includes a 3 minute chaotic synth (or ring modulated trumpet?) intro, a long unaccompanied echoplex trumpet solo, and best of all at the 4:20 minute mark one verse done as an drunken brass band waltz.

3 Likes
1 Like

FYI: Wendy Carlos’ By Request also covered Bacharach, with “What’s New Pussycat.” A very unfortunate and embarrassing cover. Ill advise from whoever the requestor was.

1 Like

That. Was. Amazing. Like a cross between the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and Wolf Eyes. A concept I had not previously considered, but am now totally here for. Thank you.

3 Likes

I don’t know about all that so here’s a cover from one of my favorite bands.

1 Like

Switched-On Santa is indeed utterly, thoroughly appalling. No amount of Christmas Day brandy nor euphemistical Christmas trees can render it listenable.

I could only bear a little of these versions of Get Back & Hey Jude, but Switched-On Santa is way worse.

1 Like

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

2 Likes

If you like Moog covers, you might want to check out “Age of Electronicus” the crappily-named album by jazz keyboardist Dick Hyman. Here’s a cover of the Beatle’s “Blackbird” from the album

1 Like

Did someone just say “Moog”?

2 Likes

The most low-rent, low-effort, and exploitative version of ‘Hey Jude’ is surely the one done by session musicians for the “Top of the Pops” album series:

And as a palate cleanser, a BBC Archive interview with Carlos from 1970…

…and a contemporary analog synth version of a classical* piece:

*(Baroque)

3 Likes
2 Likes

Just listened to this one, and am ashamed to say I never realised before that “Oh Sweet Nuthin’” slots right in to “Hey Jude”.

And here’s another by-the-numbers cover; doesn’t feel quite as cynical as the others, maybe:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.