Looking back on The Beatles "Hey Jude" from a world a little colder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/25/looking-back-on-the-beatles.html

6 Likes

This song could really use a Disturbed cover, to really up the emotional quantity, and completely change the tone of the song, to make it better.

Who needs the soft melancholy of Simon and Garfunkle’s The Sound of Silence, when you can really show off your vocal range by blowing the doors off the thing?

1 Like

Hey dude,
I saw you nude.
Don’t try to fake it,
I saw you naked.

5 Likes

Delightfully unexpected! I laughed out loud.

2 Likes

Some rando cover of Hey Jude is all over YouTube, with obviously not-Paul lead vocals, but a pretty good impression (just too slick). They do a good job with the harmonies and backing instruments, like a very solid karaoke version.

One has 8 million views and an other has 6 million view. Neither of them give any indication that it’s not the real version, and ppl in the comments seem oblivious other than 1 in 500 saying “is this the real version?”

An entire generation is growing up not knowing what the song is really supposed to sound like with actual Paul vocals. It’s kind of sickening to me.

Not Paul: 6 million views

Also not Paul: 8 million views

Anyone know what band this is?

4 Likes

Not only is that take so hot I burned myself on it, he didn’t even bother to get the title right. Isn’t it a Pity is one of the most beautifully empathetic songs ever written. If anything it carries on the themes of Hey Jude (and maybe more so All You Need is Love), though I can hear some similarity in the outro:

Isn’t it a pity
Now, isn’t it a shame
How we break each other’s hearts
And cause each other pain
How we take each other’s love
Without thinking anymore
Forgetting to give back
Isn’t it a pity

Some things take so long
But how do I explain
When not too many people
Can see we’re all the same
And because of all their tears
Their eyes can’t hope to see
The beauty that surrounds them
Isn’t it a pity

Isn’t it a pity
Isn’t is a shame
How we break each other’s hearts
And cause each other pain
How we take each other’s love
Without thinking anymore
Forgetting to give back
Isn’t it a pity

6 Likes

Hearing this song for the first time is one of my earliest memories. I was about 4 (it was a few years after the song came out, natch) and standing in my aunt and uncles living room. I stared at the stereo console, transfixed, while my hippie-looking uncle was fiddling with some of his other records. I can recall everything about the event. It was incredible.

8 Likes

The Archies?

1 Like

Deeply humbling to think I’ve been a registered member of this BBS about as long as the Beatles’ post-“Meet the Beatles” career as a band.

5 Likes
1 Like

This is my favorite cover version. Just brilliant.

2 Likes

Well it sure isn’t Wilson Pickett

1 Like

George was 24 when the Beatles broke up. I think about that often as I drift closer to being fifty. I really need to get going.

1 Like

Ok I found it. It’s the Silver Beatles, one of those “Beatlemania” touring groups.

At least I think so, since they use Beatles and this LP cover says Beetles.

2 Likes

I despise Hey Jude as well as Ricky Don’t Lose That Number because when I lived in a residence hotel in upstate New York, the bar’s jukebox was directly under my room and those songs reverberated through the floor dozens of times every single night. Fucking torture.

1 Like

Oh man, it’s a repetitive enough song as it is.

I recall not caring for it in my youth, but I still remember thinking Mccartney’s performance of it to close an SNL in the early 90s was outstanding.

1 Like

It’s a great song but it’s like 4 minutes too long. This is a reason I prefer the “Take 2” version on Anthology 3. Not only is it less overproduced, but it ends at precisely the right time.

2 Likes

It’s great for a sing-along, not so much if you’re just intently listening to music.

2 Likes

Working in a movie theater as a youth ruined lots of songs for me. Any time I hear Can You Feel The Love Tonight, I have to hold back the rage I felt from the hundreds of times I had to clean up after all the little shits during the Lion King credits.

2 Likes

If they trimmed a couple minutes of the “Naa-na-na’s” off the end of the song it’d be perfect.