Listen to what the NY Yankees manager and an umpire—two grown men—actually said to each other in an argument

Now that’s how to sell content.

9 Likes

Jomboy is awesome. Tx for sharing.

3 Likes

That literally means in his entire baseball career, he got paid for NOT doing a season’s worth of work. Not bad :smiley:

5 Likes

Absolutely agree. Jomboy is great and worth a youtube subscription.

2 Likes

I look forward to the day when a manager is ejected for kicking dirt on a robot ump.

4 Likes

It’s not truly baseball without the stats.

5 Likes

Is this different than any other sporting event? I don’t think I have witnessed one without men of a certain age yelling stupid shit at each other’s faces.

Broaden your horizons!

Erg Mooie Duiken Leuk 044974 | Natation synchronisée ...

14 Likes

Yes, perhaps I should. Based on past experience, I fear this would end up happening:
FaithfulShinyArmedcrab-size_restricted original

9 Likes

Oh how I wish that more white men would do that with their rage! :laughing:

10 Likes

Mgr Boone: Make the adjustment!
Ump Marty Hoo: YOU make the adjustment!
Boone: Who’s making the adjustment?
Ump: Did!
Boone: Who did?
Ump: Already! Damn! Did!
Boone: Who?
Ump: What!

5 Likes

Manager Boone was later allowed to rejoin the game, after cunning use of the “I’m rubber, you’re glue!” comeback strategy.

5 Likes

That seemed like a pretty reasonable argument to me. The only time it went weird is when the ump told the manager that he should make the adjustment.

That’s when it turned into:

5 Likes

ah Jomboy, the perfect sports source for people like me who played baseball and now have a passing occasional interest in bits and bobs related to it but when you get down to it think people take it way too seriously. He’s great.

2 Likes

Seeing umpires and managers all up in each other’s face again makes me very uncomfortable. Thanks COVID.

3 Likes

This. THIS is how to baseball. Great work!

I’d like to see his ejection rate break down vs. left and right-handed opposing pitchers.

5 Likes

I think managers still use their shoes to kick dirt onto the umpire? Or they often did in the past.
That was always a WTF moment for me.

2 Likes

I think this wasn’t about those particular calls. this has been a habit with umps calling low strikes on judge. he is 6 foot 7, which is tall even for MLb players and he is often a victim of the low strike call that would be a strike for someone else but shouldn’t be for him. he was just sending a message.

as a father of a kid that plays ball (10u) i can tell you that much worse has been said and done in games that i have seen from parents of 10 year olds where the ump makes $35 a game and the kids play to have fun. At least in the yankees case they are all making millions of dollars. the more i see parents act like that at games, the less i care about the outcome. i just want my kid to have fun.

4 Likes

this is a family fav in our house!

5 Likes

Honestly, I can’t even see the strike zone anymore now that they’ve superimposed that idiotic ghost box over the plate. It’s so hard to see a ball moving that fast on tv or even from the stands and now with that stupid ghost image it almost creates an optical illusion for me because it’s all angled for the camera in a way that just makes it more confusing. I’ve never been really good at seeing the strike zone anyway and now it’s like looking through a dirty window.

Anyway, my main point is that this is pretty tame for baseball jawing. Growing up a Royals fan, I’ll admit to a deep animosity for the Yankees even though now they’re my nearest team. I haven’t been to a game in years and theres no chance for me to catch a KC game in the NY market unless they’re playing… the freakin’ Yankees (or interleague, I guess). I did watch a disproportionate number of games on NY1 the year Judge debuted and I really like him, but can’t say much about how he’s been umped over the years.

And of course, being from KC, this is my benchmark for freaking out on the umpire:

Now that’s a grown ass man meltdown!

5 Likes