Listen to what the NY Yankees manager and an umpire—two grown men—actually said to each other in an argument

Originally published at: Listen to what the NY Yankees manager and an umpire—two grown men—actually said to each other in an argument | Boing Boing

9 Likes

The action hits ay 1:00, for those that will be board with the lead up to it.

11 Likes

They’re doing it for the crowd mostly. They might as well just say rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb (etc)

15 Likes

That was pretty funny

5 Likes

The ballfield, where the elementary schoolyard lives on well into adulthood.

14 Likes

I had almost forgotten that baseball is a thing and that I hate it. It’s good to be reminded of this stuff now and then. Many thanks.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Apparently they find it hard to make the adjustment.

14 Likes

…and just so clearly heard…

Nah, the umpires in elementary school have good eyesight and know when to make the damn adjustment.

6 Likes

That, and I think managers have to show the head office they mean business, so they’re earning their salary performing for two audiences.

4 Likes

First time I’ve ever understood something about baseball. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know. That was pretty tame. It’s pretty early in the season, so these games aren’t too consequential, but bad calls can ruin a whole lot of peoples’ year. Both pitches seemed like good calls and the manager should know better than to get so heated with no outs and a whole inning left in a one-score game, but if that’s the worst it gets… meh.

4 Likes

“Four balls below the knees”

That sounds like something the team physician should look at.

20 Likes

Someone needs a truss. That’ll adjust them, alright!

5 Likes

Heck, probably a few non sports medicine doctors could justify studying them…

1 Like

Manager: "Carrots and peas! Carrots and peas!
Umpire: "No, peas and carrots!
Manager: "Come on, carrots and peas, carrots and peas!!
Umpire: "Carrots and peas? No, no no. Peas and Carrots!

5 Likes

The pitcher’s mound conference in “Bull Durham” was funnier.

2 Likes

I’m a pretty big baseball fan, but I know that it’s an acquired taste. That being said, Jomboy’s videos are universally entertaining for fans and non-fans alike.

8 Likes

I got curious. Boone has been ejected from about 3.3% of the games he’s managed. That’s impressive, but he’s significantly behind Bobby Cox’s rate of 3.5%. Cox was ejected from 162 games in his career. #2 is 121. Cox turned it into an art form.

6 Likes