The best thing about American "sports"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/the-best-thing-about-american.html

2 Likes

There is a strange, ritualistic feel to his actions; scratching dirt over the home plate, tossing out the bats and balls while being careful not to hit anyone, like he is going through the motions. Is this normal behaviour in baseball? The players didn’t seem to supportive or engaged in the entire performance.

8 Likes

He’s not a true artist like Sparky Anderson.

7 Likes

Yeah, this guy is strictly bush-league. You want to see the master of getting ejected from a game? Earl Weaver, baby. Incredibly NSFW, btw, Earl threw out expletives like beads at Mardi Gras.

9 Likes

I too, immediately thought of Earl Weaver.

7 Likes

It’s all fun and games until someone tears a fingernail.

24 Likes

Assistant soccer coach here (little girls).

Dude does something like that on the sideline, we’d both be ejected. One for asshattery, the other for assault.

Then I have to explain to the girls why sometimes you need to fight back.

4 Likes

…or has a heart attack. Listening to his breathing had me worried that would be next. I wonder if there’s some league discount on anger management classes.

10 Likes

That guy looked like he was having a meltdown. My strategy for those is to get as far away as possible, so that the cloud of radioactive rage doesn’t touch me. In videos of bench-clearing brawls, it’s easy to see how quickly that stuff can spread.

11 Likes

I still can’t figure out why the batter was ejected. I’m guessing he said something that wasn’t picked up by audio.

6 Likes

Best exchange I recall on a horrible strikeout call - the batter cursed and threw his bat high in the air. Ump sez: “If that comes down, you’re out of here.”

12 Likes

You are not making me revisit and revise my lifelong disinterest in the game with this video.

(That said: baseball mitts are neato.)

7 Likes

Yeah. Managers, especially, know that there are certain lines that it’s not worth crossing and do their best to make sure the players don’t cross them too. (E.g., notice that the first thing the manager does when he approaches is tell his player not to touch the ump.) It may be the difference between merely getting tossed out of the game and getting a significant fine. (And when you only make a minor-leaguer salary, just about any fine is significant.)

Based on the manager’s reaction right at the very beginning (“he didn’t even say anything!”), the ump thought the batter was arguing balls and strikes.

8 Likes

Not even close. Earl Weaver was the best.

9 Likes

Hey, that was more entertaining than 75% of most baseball games I’ve been to. And 98% of the soccer games.

7 Likes

He’s a feisty little son of a gun, and no mistake.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was starting to think that playing Another One Bites the Dust in the background was a little too on-the-nose.

6 Likes

Disappointed - expected something like O. K. Corral.

1 Like

All the cricketers in the house are shaking their heads at the amateurs… :smirk:

8 Likes

This was the South Georgia Peanuts’ first and last season, back in 2007, following Backman’s ouster from the Arizona Diamondbacks after only four days:

4 Likes