The best thing about American "sports"

I grew up loving Weaver. He belonged to an age of baseball that, I fear, is disappearing. Not that I’m waxing nostalgic about the foul language or grotesque behavior, but instead for a time when baseball was revered as a continuity with the past in the present. I think, looking at it now, baseball doesn’t have long for this world in the face of other distractions.

4 Likes

Anyone who thinks baseball is boring needs to watch some cricket matches.

Nevertheless, the guy doesn’t know what he said that got him ejected? He told the ump he had “a bullshit zone all day”, which I think is the same as arguing balls and strikes in the rule book (I could be wrong there-- typically coaches know exactly what they can get away with verbally, but I think they also like to get ejected sometimes for the optics of it.)

1 Like

He didn’t call the ump a cocksucker…

5 Likes

I was coming to say “Wait…no one called anyone a cocksucker…wtf is the problem?!”

Also…based on how we hear that manager breathing…he is headed to a coronary sooner not later.

4 Likes

I think you mean Rounders, but sure, many people think Cricket is boring because they don’t understand it is merely something to do between long lunches and tea breaks.

3 Likes

This the same Wally Backman who got drunk and beat up his girlfriend? https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2019/08/30/wally-backman-arrested-after-alleged-domestic-incident-new-york/2167513001/

5 Likes

Yes, the same one.

That’s why he got fired from the Diamondbacks after only four days.

EtA: I just noticed the date on that byline. This is a new domestic violence allegation from this year, not to be confused with the previous allegations (plural) that had cost him the Diamondbacks job.

A guy who acts like he did on that video has a decades-long history of domestic violence arrests. Who woulda thunk it? :thinking:

8 Likes

Uhhh…how come everyone on the field seems to be mic’d up?

1 Like

It’s hard to believe that someone who looks and breathes like that is 1) only 47 years old, and 2) is a former professional athlete at the highest level.

Not only was he a former MLB player, he was a first-round draft pick when he was 18.

Holy crap, life after the big leagues has not been kind to Wally Backman.

5 Likes

From his personal history, more like Bally Wackman, amirite!?

4 Likes

Ha ha ha.

I think cricket is boring because the games are just so damned long. A three hour baseball game is plenty for me, thanks.

Not sure why you put sports in quotations. “sports” Is that meant to implicate negativity or that you were being disingenuous?

OK, that’s bowling not baseball, but we’re not talking about endurance athletes, here.

2 Likes

HOLY HELL HE IS THE SAME AGE AS ME???

I am seriously stunned by this.

2 Likes

If you’re 47 now, he’s twelve years older than you. That video was from 2007, but he was 47 back then.

1 Like

OH! I thought it was recent.

Still though…I’m 47 now and I am certain I will not look and move that way for at least another 20 years.

3 Likes

And an eye roll (or the umpire’s belief that you did one) is enough to be ejected for that.

Now, if the umpire is making the team unhappy with calls, or the team really thinks an ejection is bullshit, then it is the manager’s duty to go get ejected in solidarity. In the majors this is typically done with a conversation that looks like arguing on camera, but is actually just discussing where to get a good dinner in town.

I wonder if he was for this “documentary”…and also I wonder if this was a scripted part.

2 Likes

A Brockmire moment.

I´m Offensive and I find this german.

5 Likes

It’s been 37 years since the underarm incident, but anytime I talk cricket with a kiwi it comes up.

It’s been 116 years since England and Australia started bickering, but put one of each in a room and mention the “c’ word and it’s on.

Cricket fans know how to keep and cherish a grudge. We’ve had a century’s practice.

3 Likes