Listen up: you really owe it to yourself to read 15 Vlad Taltos novels, seriously

I cannot say, for I am sure than any reader would be frightfully offended by any disquisition concerning the politics of literary policing, and thus I must not divulge a word, nor jest unseemingly on this contentious subject, and cannot devote a post of any sort even touching upon or refusing to discuss it, as the reader no doubt has finer demands on his time, unless the reader is of the fairer sex, in which case it would be more correct to say her time, that would provide a more enlightening and pleasant use of that reader’s capacities (of whatever gender, sex, or indeed orientation - should these things not be aligned in any manner traditional to the culture in which the reader is embedded - the reader enjoys, or fails to enjoy, as so many do) and would surely be put in dire distrait rather than being gently amused or intellectually enlightened by my prose as is the desire of any author of good taste and breeding, although of course I can lay claim to neither.

11 Likes

Now, The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars isn’t Draegaran book, but it is a Devera one. (I’m not going to dig out Cowboy Feng to check.)

2 Likes

The Vlad Taltos books are the last series that I’m buying in paper form. I’m still buying a few other dead tree books, but lack of shelf space has pushed me entirely over to ebooks now, but I still want to finish this series.
That said, I’m buying them in paperback, so I wait years for a new one, and then have to wait another year for it to come out in paperback, ah well, at least there’s plenty of books in the world to tide me over until then.

3 Likes

I’ll check this out. Always loouing for a long term fantasy series I can invest copious amounts of valuable time! :wink:

On the “you should read this massive series…”

You should read Robin Hobbs’ Assassin’s Apprentice Series. IT IS SO GOOD.

The Assassin’s Apprentice Trilogy
The Live Ship Traders Trilogy
The Tawny Man Trilogy
The Rain Wild Chronicles Quadrilogy
Fitz and the Fool (Assassin’s Fate)

OMG SO GOOD.

2 Likes

I have read the 14 books that precede Vallista (because some obscure writer told me to few years ago in Boingboing… cough cough…) and I loved them. I loved how the author changes genres within his universe without problems and yet manage to slips socio-political issues there and here.

The only part of the series that I skipped was the third section of Tiassa, the one written from Khaavren perspective, the baroque language was too much for me. Maybe I should give it a second try. I was reading the whole series back to back and the sudden change in writing style shocked me.

4 Likes

I have vague memories of trying to look for her the last time i read it and not finding her, but she’s reportedly in every one of his novels, although not always with the name “Devera”.

3 Likes

Paarfi? Is that you?

4 Likes

I just saw my pre-order come through, and let out a minor “Squee!” on the bus. Don’t mind me! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Don’t forget the khaavren romances. While there isn’t a lot of direct intersection ( they occurred slightly post intergnum) they help flesh out the world. Dont forget the viscount of Adrilankha series either.
Also To Reign in Hell is a killer read.

1 Like

Steven Brust is a good writer. Never got into the Vlad Taltos series partially because every time I searched for “taltos,” a kind of Magyar shaman, to pursue some folklore studies I’ve been doing mostly his work shows up, partially because it’s a loooong series.

Some of his stand-alone books I have read and enjoyed very much. Besides, we both have that Magyar heritage, goulash in our blood.

1 Like

A great series, I can’t wait for this one. I envy anyone who hasn’t read any of them yet. (Lots of the earlier ones are also fairly short too, so you can find out if you’ll like them with minimal time investment.)
Put me down as one who loves the Paarfi-penned tales, but I can see how someone might like one but hate the other…that would actually be pretty annoying if you were also the type of completist who wanted to read all the books in a particular fictional setting.

1 Like

Is Vallista the last one in the cycle? Obviously I’m behind!

Sounds like a job for SpecOps-27, too bad they were discontinued.

If I recall correctly, it’s supposed to run 19 books: one for each house, plus the book Taltos, which has already been published, and a capper to the whole series that’s supposedly going to be called The Last Contract

5 Likes

This series is a long time favorite. Bought first book in my teens. Enjoyed each in paper or hardback since. I have read pretty much all the Brust books including collaborations with other authors, will heartily recommend Freedom and Necessity by brust and emna bull.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with the Black Tower by Stephen King.

I read the first book a couple years ago… probably because Cory recommended it. Made it through the book but nothing about it seemed special to me… didn’t care for it enough to read another book, didn’t recognize the author is this article till I as the bit about jehreg. Definitely would’n’t say anything I read there approached Dark Tower level’s of awesomeness. I dunno different strokes for different folks I guess.

1 Like

I’ve loved all the Brust Taltos novels (he lives here in the Twin Cities, though I’ve never seen him at the various folk festivals he’s rumored to attend).

My problem is that I can never remember the most recent book I’ve read. I know I haven’t read Vallista, and they’re spaced so far apart that I often can’t recall a book from its Amazon synopsis.

Anyway, since they’re not always chronological, perhaps I can start with Vallista and work my way backwards. You’re right, though - they’re great books - and what I always found impressive is that he uses a different writing voice based on which house he’s writing about.

Tip: Never read through the meal sections in every book when you’re hungry!

2 Likes

Mmmmmm…Valabar’s!

1 Like