Listen up: you really owe it to yourself to read 15 Vlad Taltos novels, seriously

“The world that became Dragaera was originally a home-brew RPG run by Adrian Charles Morgan.” – Steven Brust, 2011-12-13 interview with Park Cooper

2 Likes

Me: “ugh where do I start, why is Amazon’s page for a series always so useless in answering that, maybe Goodreads will do better”

Goodreads: quotes Brust’s introduction to omnibus of the first three –

One of the questions I’m most often asked is: “In what order would you recommend reading these books?” Unfortunately, I’m just exactly the wrong guy to ask. I made every effort to write them so that they could be read in any order. I am aware that, in some measure at least, I have failed (I certainly wouldn’t recommend starting with Teckla, for example), but the fact that I was trying makes me incapable of giving an answer.

Many people whose opinion I respect believe publication order is best . . . The choice, I daresay, is yours. In any case, I hope you enjoy them.

aaaaaagggh THANKS FOR THE NO HELP

(And then it goes on to list them in publication order. Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, Phoenix, Athyra, Orca, Dragon, Issola, Dzur, Jhegaala*, Iorich, Tiassa, Hawk, Vallista.)

• I really hope that this word is pronounced like someone clearing their throat. I will be very disappointed if I get this far in the series and it is not.
3 Likes

Oops! Delicious, delicious crow =p…

Thanks, though, I’d missed that.

1 Like

Those were a possibility, but I can’t recall if Taltos ever, intentionally did any of those in the books. He usually play for higher stakes. His first assassination was in any case permanent, and that was just a goon from another gang:
“And I don’t want him revivifiable either. Can you handle that?”
“Yeah”.

Dragaerans have souls and reincarnation, so permanent just means this lifetime.

And then there’s Morganti, which kills the soul and is absolutely permanent. (Baring trickery with Great weapons.) It’s also extremely illegal and expensive.

Vlad doesn’t do that. But he has a friend…

1 Like

I know right, @doctorow says “thank me later” and then does not tell you with which book to start, it’s like he doesn’t even want the Amazon commissions :wink:

Thank you kind person!

I know right! Could it just be that they don’t have the required meta-data fields for this? I really don’t get this…

I get a bit of a Discworld vibe here, and while much has been said about the reading order of this series, I read it in publication order and not once felt like I was missing out. It seems to be the logical option here too.

1 Like

When I look for the first book on Amazon it’s actually these three combined into one volume.

The Book of Jhereg follows the antics of the wise-cracking assassin Vlad Taltos and his dragon-like companion through their first three adventures; Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla

This is bound to trip me up somewhere along the way…

1 Like

There’s a pronunciation guide with MP3s of how to pronounce a lot of the words from the series here. Sorry to disappoint.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.