Literary history of the text message conversations in Apple ads

Originally published at: Literary history of the text message conversations in Apple ads | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A lot of those screenshots aren’t text messages. They are emails.

A bunch of Japanese TV CMs (AKA “ads” or “commercials”) have long-running actual stories that people can — and do! — get interested in. Off the top of my head, there’s the SoftBank family series, headed by a white Shiba-ken, and Boss Coffee’s Uchujin (Spaceman) Jones series, starring Tommy Lee Jones.

1 Like

Email is just three rinky dink grandpa protocols for text messaging in a trench coat

It takes on a whole other meaning if you read it as the person in the To: line isn’t there anymore…. because they died.

That’s a thing in British TV advertising too. I think it’s partly because both countries have advertising national broadcasters, so the commercial broadcasters need to make their ad breaks entertaining or viewers switch over. I’d guess this is even more important when so many viewers have smartphones or tablets in their hands.

1 Like

This is an Apple tradition. There was a wonderful narrative in the 1983 Apple III ads involving adultery in Acapulco and the destruction of their Osaka factory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vintageads/comments/pgjh6x/1983_ad_for_the_apple_iii_personal_computer/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.