Little Richard on discovering The Beatles -- Dick Cavett, 1970

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/04/little-richard-on-discovering.html

6 Likes

A couple of things of interest to me: It’s remarkable to see how quick witted and funny he is (it’s been a long time since i’ve seen anything with him in it), but i’m also fascinated by how forward he is with what i perceive as indirect yet not subtle conversation about his sexuality especially for the time of this interview. Looked online and it appears that he was never fully comfortable with his sexuality as a man of faith.

6 Likes

Very very very nice unicorn chaser. Many thanks. Also includes Little Richard on Anti-Semites.

1 Like

That his stepfather beat him “for being queer,” isn’t going to be psychologically helpful either. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes, he was beautiful.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about his life but considering the time he grew up i’m not surprised he had to grapple with trauma as well, but i’m thankful that the world was lucky enough to have him.

4 Likes

Amen!!!

2 Likes

Being raised in Southern Pentecostal churches is likely the reason for his fascination with Judaism. Their theology is heavy on the old Testament and, especially in black Pentecostal churches, identifies the struggles of the Jews in Egypt with the oppression that Christians face in the world.

I grew up in them myself…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.