Livable Cities

8 Likes
9 Likes

Crime in your area: Use of neighborhood apps is associated with inaccurate perceptions of higher local crime rates.

7 Likes

I swear, I missed The Onion banner and I first thought that this was some sort of Eric Adams anti-homelessness weird shit.

I think others have mentioned this before, but The Onion is often close to reality.

4 Likes

Crosspost from the map thread:

3 Likes

Another crosspost (don’t want this discussion to fizzle)

Okay, here’s some content, too

:unamused: now waiting for “2030: One more lane will fix it.”

15 Likes

You need to build vertically?

8 Likes

I like it. You could travel from one parking garage to another without ascending or descending any ramps. Wouldn’t be the worst engineering nightmare discussed on this forum.

8 Likes

9 Likes

I thought tunnels were more popular now, like Boston’s Big Dig … :thinking:

4 Likes

but tunnels are so Boring

8 Likes

This is the second time I’ve heard about congestion zone fees lately. They seem to be promoted as way to reduce traffic and pollution. OTOH the impact on workers unable to use public transportation (or afford the fees) are highlighted in this video:

:thinking: What ensures all of this revenue will be used to improve public transit or make it more affordable? My experience with revenues from bridge tolls being used to fund sports arenas instead of on bridge maintenance makes me skeptical about that part of the plan.

13 Likes

:thinking: We’ll see if this increases use of bike lanes, as well as revenue from parking enforcement:

7 Likes
5 Likes

:thinking: Would still like to see efforts to improve safety and accessibility for biking and mass transit bear fruit, but I’ll take this as a good sign!

8 Likes

It sure as hell is not ATL… some neighborhoods are walkable, and downtown is okay for getting around GSU on foot, but forget walking from neighborhood to neighborhood…

Good on Philly!

6 Likes

ATL had decades of racists trying to hamper the development of mass transit in efforts of de facto segregation.

6 Likes

I’m not even talking about Mass transit, but just walkability, though. I could easily walk around downtown, or Decatur, or Emory village - but even walking between neighborhoods can be problematic - no sidewalks in areas considered high car traffic, for example…

Mass transit is a whole nother bundle of problems!

7 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

But still, it’s a nice town!

[ETA]

Just saw this…

And I guess another caveat to the lack of walkability in ATL is the Beltline…

Which does connect certain communities (that are quickly out of price for most working class families) and is very walkable. But it’s only a small part of the city and pretty much privileges those with means over everyone else having easy access to safe walking trails.

7 Likes